2017 - some of my trips finds - a year in review

elcoincoin

As monthes passed in 2017, i wasnt under the impression the year was that good fossilwise. But now it's over and after rewieing what i found during my different trips, i must say it has been a hell of a year.

So here come most of my 2017 best finds.

This is a trip in some french hunting place, mostly nothern half, From west to east, from ordovician to cretaceous.

I hope you will enjoy the diversity

First of all, the trilobites departement,

So we are in the ordovician shale of britanny. Oldest stuff you will see in that thread.

The closest hunting place for me, so i made about 10 visits there over the year.

So first of all, what i consider as my best trilo fossil:

Block of 2 Neseuretus tristani  La Dominelais - Brittany - France - Ordovician - Landeilien (-460 MA) - found on february 2017

large.stage3.JPG.2d30db49a96ae594ab219bd

Detail :

large.detail-second-2.JPG.70dafaa4a5767f

Then from same spot but from my last visit :

Ectillaneus giganteus from the ordovician shales South of Rennes - la Dominelais - Brittany - France - collected in december 2017

large.ecti-1.jpg.b67e45cb310bc9a2566c1c5

Then from another place just other side of the highway !

Neseuretus Tristani (top) and Colpocoryphe Rouaulti (bottom), 2 trilobites from the ordovician shales - La Noe Blanche - South of Rennes - Brittany -  France - collected in november 2017

large.trilos-laoneblanche-2017.jpg.91e44

Then we reach the permian epoch.

First visit to that site for me and maybe just a one time opportunity.

The picture is highly magnified, the "beast" is only 2 cm long.

Set of 2 Branchiosaurus Petrolei, a permian amphibian (size 2 cm) from Autun oil shale. - Autunian - collected in autumn 2017

large.branchiosaurus.jpg.f4cba8ba8c4de99

Now, comes the jurassic.

During autumn, i also paid a visit not far from Semur en Auxois (burgondy), the city that gave its name to Sinemurian epoch. Place is well known for its huge arietite ammos. I didnt found a complete one but i found this big fellow :

A nautiloid from Vic de Chassenay - Burgondy - France - sinemurian - collected in autum 2017

large.nautile-semur-2017-1.jpg.574cefb3b

I also made a trip in the area of Niort. The pit is bajocian and aalenian. I found this very well preserved Nautiloid, with dendrite on its surface.

A Nautiloid from Nanteui - Deux Sèvres - France - Bajocian - collected in september 2017

large.nautile-nanteuil--2017-1.jpg.4a297

I also spent some time in Normandy, I only spent one day in "Les Vaches Noires" though, I only found interesting fossil, but how beautifully preserved :

Myophorella SP, a  bivalve from Les Vaches Noires - Normandy - France - oxfordian - collected in june 2017

large.myophorella-vaches-noires-1.jpg.ca

And ill finish with cretaceous localities i had the opportunity to spend some time in. Some, northen part of Normandy shore line and its chalck cliffs. Echinoids land

In Antifer, i mostly found some Crassiholaster Subglobosus . This one being the best of them :

Crassiholaster Subglobosus from Antifer  - Normandy - france - cenomanian - collected in may 2017

large.holaster-antifer-2017-1.jpg.f08d24

Further North, we found some blocks full of Echinocorys :

Block of Echinocorys Gravesii from Les Petites Dalles, Normandy, France - Coniacian - collected in may 2017

large.echinocorys-dalles-2017-1.jpg.f35c

And further nNorth again,

This flint Echi :

Flint Echinocorys Gravesii from Veulette sur Mer - Normandy - France - Coniacian - collected in may 2017

large.echinocorys-veulette-2017-1.jpg.10

And this is it ! I hope you enjoy your french trip !

Nice branchiosaur! Those autun deposits are not very accessible for fossil hunter and rarely do any come out anymore.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Monica said:

That bumpy bivalve is a beauty!!! :wub:

That's a Trigonia... It is a nice one for sure.

What causes the black streaks, I wonder...

All beauties, elcoincoin. I think you're showing me what my Cretaceous stuff over here would look like if it were preserved better.

Vous avez fait des stes belles trouvailles cet annee.  Est ce que les vertebres qu'on voit qui vont diagonalement sont du meme animal Permien?  

Lovely finds, thanks so much for sharing! 

Hope this year is even better for you then last. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, jpc said:

Vous avez fait des stes belles trouvailles cet annee.  Est ce que les vertebres qu'on voit qui vont diagonalement sont du meme animal Permien?  

Hi there,

Second specimen, but same specie, a bit less complete though.

I have a pending shooting session from specimens from this locality including more or less in connection fish  scales set and some small plant remains. but i really need time and a good light to manage something with the photos. So i shall post more of them soon hopefuly

Archived