Hunting in Texas

Hardman.digs

Hello all! I am wondering if I could get some ideas for places to hunt fossils in Texas. We are currently just north of Dallas and will be heading sort of diagonally to the big bend area. Any ideas of good spots to hunt fossils aong the way. (Some of the trip will have a 9 year old. Any kid friendly spots also appriciated) thanks all in advance! 

Humm, kid friendly huh?  I know of some PG-13 areas, but nothing kid friendly.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

There are some Pennsylvanian formations near the Mineral Wells area, a little west of Fort Worth.   I have only ever been on private property, but I believe that there is a fossil park that allows collecting there.  There is also an outlet mall that gives absolutely spectacular deals on pants if a fossil park isn't enough motivation to go.

There are also Triassic deposits a bit farther west of there near Post (home of Postosuchus), but I know nothing about how available it is for collecting.

Mineral Wells has a public park that is free to the public.  It's just a little west of town and pretty easy to find.  Very easy for kids to fossil hunt there.  I've taken two of my kids there before.  Fossils are very plentiful as well.

Hi Joe . We will probably be zig zagging directly southwest-word. No real plans as to what highways and such to take. Hopping to get some ideas on here as to a route.

Also here is a nice find from the Sulphur river. It was cold but these awesome little bertibre made it worth the stop. (Any one know what they might be to? A fish maybe?

20180114_143014.png

12 hours ago, Hardman.digs said:

Also here is a nice find from the Sulphur river. It was cold but these awesome little bertibre made it worth the stop. (Any one know what they might be to? A fish maybe?

20180114_143014.png

Yes fish articulated fish verts.

The Waco pit area is easily accessed and kid friendly but a request must be established prior to your visit.

6 hours ago, bone2stone said:

Yes fish articulated fish verts.

The Waco pit area is easily accessed and kid friendly but a request must be established prior to your visit.

Hi bone to stone thanks for the info! Do you know who I would go about contacting for the Waco pit?

Didn't mention the Pit since I figured it would be out of the way on routing. 

Ok, the Lake Waco Research Area is property of the Corps of Engineers.  A permit (free) must be obtained from their office.  The Pit is located in the 7600 block of Steinbeck Bend Road, Waco, Texas.  The CoE office is usually located a block away but they are currently under renovations.  The temp office is over at Midway Park near the Twin Bridges.  I would call the office first and find out if they are still in the temp building or not.  Also ask if they can email or fax you a blank permit and you fill it out then send it back.  I know people have done this in the past.  The office is open during regular business hours.

Address: 3801 Zoo Park Dr, Waco, TX 76708
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4:30PM

5 hours ago, TNGray said:

http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/waco_pit/waco_pit.html

Here's some pictures of the Waco Pit.

Nice Photos. But one major correction: The pit is in the Grayson Formation (AKA Del Rio Clay) of the Washita Group, NOT the Eagle Ford Shale which is younger.

Also your "gastropod" is actually the heteromorph ammonite Mariella. You DO have some pyritized gastropods in the shot of the whole bunch.

For folks looking to go there when it is wet: You must be prepared to get VERY muddy. No easy way to collect without getting into it. The clay will stick to your shoes and everything else, so be prepared for cleaning up back at the vehicle.

On January 11, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Hardman.digs said:

Hello all! I am wondering if I could get some ideas for places to hunt fossils in Texas. We are currently just north of Dallas and will be heading sort of diagonally to the big bend area. Any ideas of good spots to hunt fossils aong the way. (Some of the trip will have a 9 year old. Any kid friendly spots also appriciated) thanks all in advance! 

I'm going to strongly second the Mineral Wells Fossil Park. It is easy to get to, fits your route SW, the fossils are abundant and you can find a huge variety of things.  Also, they are all small so you won't be hauling great amounts of weight around afterward.

The Waco Pit is interesting and produces supper cool stuff but you have to work harder for it. Also if the pit is wetter than normal the mud is just no fun.

Depending on your route you could hit road cuts in the Hill Country and score good Cretaceous marine fossils. 

PS There is no collecting in Big Bend. You will see fossils but leave them be. You can find stuff outside the park but make sure to leave it at the motel or hide it in the trunk before entering the park. I met a guy who spent an hour talking his way out of arrest because a ranger noticed he had a rock pick and tools on his front seat and then had fossils in his trunk, all collected outside the park, but who could tell?

But man o man the scenery is amazing. Collect like crazy with your camera!

Back before any of us were married, two cousins, my brother and I took off on a trip from Kansas to the big bend area. After about 4 days, we came across this place. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/balmorhea

We had been camping, it was hot, we were dirty, and we felt like we had discovered the greatest place on earth.

I've always wanted to go back.  If I were within 200 miles of there I wouldn't miss it for the world.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

On 1/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, erose said:

I'm going to strongly second the Mineral Wells Fossil Park. It is easy to get to, fits your route SW, the fossils are abundant and you can find a huge variety of things.  Also, they are all small so you won't be hauling great amounts of weight around afterward.

The Waco Pit is interesting and produces supper cool stuff but you have to work harder for it. Also if the pit is wetter than normal the mud is just no fun.

Depending on your route you could hit road cuts in the Hill Country and score good Cretaceous marine fossils. 

PS There is no collecting in Big Bend. You will see fossils but leave them be. You can find stuff outside the park but make sure to leave it at the motel or hide it in the trunk before entering the park. I met a guy who spent an hour talking his way out of arrest because a ranger noticed he had a rock pick and tools on his front seat and then had fossils in his trunk, all collected outside the park, but who could tell?

But man o man the scenery is amazing. Collect like crazy with your camera!

Thanks for the reminder. We are very careful to follow laws and regulations where ever we go. That is why I like this community. 

You guys are right about the muddy at the Waco Pit.

19 pounds of sticky clay on each boot can get you down QUICK!

Gotta clean your boots off every other step.

Plus getting down on your knees or buttsky and doing the scoot along is not advisable.

I admit though the Mineral Wells site is good as well and would probably be more productive.

Both sites are very popular.

Bone2stone

Archived