Plant or animal?

fossils4fun

Just now, Foozil said:

How old is it?

Just check the expiration date printed on the back.

Definitely looks brachiopod. Also, @caldigger I dunno if there'll be an expiration date. Fossils don't exactly expire. :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I agree with brachiopod as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Foozil said:

Pyritised fossils do! sorta 

Any fossil will expire if left out on the elements!

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Definitely looks brachiopod. Also, @caldigger I dunno if there'll be an expiration date. Fossils don't exactly expire. :P

Of course they do.  The creature expires, gets covered over, minerals replace the critter and shazam! You've got yerself a fossil. There's some expiration in there someplace.

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Of course they do.  The creature expires, gets covered over, minerals replace the critter and shazam! You've got yerself a fossil. There's some expiration in there someplace.

When it lived, but not when it's turned into the beautiful fossil we all know and love (at least I hope it doesn't expire for anyone...).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

My dad lives in Northwestern Arkansas. Most of the area is Mississippian, but there is a little Pennsylvania mixed in.

Sometimes it is difficult for people to know what geological period something was found in.

This is a fairly rough idea of what period is in what area.

69DE7B22-444A-496B-919B-5E1DA929CA8A.jpeg.47d5d6abd92b3f9d52b61ad0da1a87a3.jpeg

The image is from this URL: http://www.geology.arkansas.gov/geology/strat_ozark_plateaus.htm

There is much to see on the site. There are other maps there too, some interactive ones too.

I have not been fossil hunting much in NW AR, but most of what I have seen has been somewhat small, with the exception of some crinoids. All the brachiopods I’ve seen have been about the size of a quarter or smaller. So that is a remarkable piece you have there. Very nice.

image.png.9003f5aa704aeee89b03b13f9948a44a.pnglooks like a partial Orthotetes sp, Mississippian.(pix from Louisvillefossils.blogspot.com)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

These are all so helpful. Not really sure about the period but I did find it a little south of Cane Hill. I also find quite a few pieces that look like horned coral, but it is not curved at the top like most I've seen it is straighter with little rings around. Thanks again all this info is wonderful.

photos of the corals would also be nice

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

I looked all over and can only find these half corals. If I find my box of whole ones I will upload pictures later, sorry about that. The big one is a cluster of coral that are broke off and the two smaller ones have the tops off too.

DSCF7105.JPG

DSCF7106.JPG

those look Devonian to me, best guess

Congrats on the find.  I am in the NE corner of Oklahoma.  In this area we get Devonian period in most creeks and cuts.  NW Arkansas is similar however there is a lot of period change based on the Ozark uplift. And it changes quickly.  Brachiopod is my thought.  The shell looks similar to ones I have found here in Devonian material. Can't tell you the species though. Go out hunting again and you may find a better specimen.  Good luck.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:24 PM, Herb said:

image.png.9003f5aa704aeee89b03b13f9948a44a.pnglooks like a partial Orthotetes sp, Mississippian.(pix from Louisvillefossils.blogspot.com)

Oh Dang! I miss finding those Orthotetes in Louisville!  Some real great hunting back in the day! 

5a5c114b2b1b7_OrthotetesspLouisville(2).jpg.1cc0da82f53fe097977a199be4e608be.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Archived