Nalhunter

I found this around 2 years ago in a creek in North Alabama. I'm pretty sure it's a partial trilobite but I'm not sure.

20180109_195348.jpg

20180109_195341.jpg

1515722784492808380097.jpg

Edited by Nalhunter

Welcome to TFF!

First 2 pictures say "yes", but the 3rd picture says "no".

I think it is a crushed shell, possibly a cephalopod (?).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks! It's difficult to get a good angle on it. I thought it was a shell at first too but the more I looked at I just honestly can't tell. I've never found a trilobite so I keep hoping that's what it is, but it is what it is.

22 minutes ago, Nalhunter said:

Thanks! It's difficult to get a good angle on it. I thought it was a shell at first too but the more I looked at I just honestly can't tell. I've never found a trilobite so I keep hoping that's what it is, but it is what it is.

Can you take a picture of the back end (the pygidium if it is a trilo). I’m leaning towards trilobite but a cephalopod is also a possibility.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Can you take a picture of the back end (the pygidium if it is a trilo). I’m leaning towards trilobite but a cephalopod is also a possibility.

15157261981311056176971.jpg

23 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Can you take a picture of the back end (the pygidium if it is a trilo). I’m leaning towards trilobite but a cephalopod is also a possibility

Edited by Nalhunter

Yeah I’d say trilo, pygidium is separate from thorax. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah I’d say trilo, pygidium is separate from thorax. 

I disagree. I see no pygidium or evidence of a cephalon. The "axial lobe" does not look right either.

Lets see what @piranha thinks.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

possibly a very worn partial thorax of a Silurian species

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

35 minutes ago, Herb said:

possibly a very worn partial thorax of a Silurian species

I second that. Again, only possibly. 

@piranha

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I don’t think it’s trilo. It just looks wrong from the last image. Any chance we can have several more images? One directly from the top in particular. You can never post enough images! 

Seeing the last two photos, i'm leaning towards a worn cephalopod.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

12 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I don’t think it’s trilo. It just looks wrong from the last image. Any chance we can have several more images? One directly from the top in particular. You can never post enough images! 

Sure thing, I'll try to post some more later today. Like I said earlier its very hard to get the perfect picture of it because of its shape, if it is a trilobite I think it's coiled.

Seems a bit too robust to be a trilobite (2nd picture). Zooming in on the images, it looks like the shape continues a bit further, but there is also some curious mineralization and erosion-based surface pitting. Definitely more pictures, different angles, good lighting will help!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You  also show it to that society : http://alabamapaleo.org/Alabama_Paleontological_Society and read that :  http://encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1152 and follow the links they give you.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week. I've been doing some research in the meantime, and I bought something I probably should have bought alot sooner, a fossil field guide. According to the geological map, the rocks here are Mississippian age. According to everything I've read, the only trilobites still around in the Mississippian period were from the order Proetida. 

23 hours ago, Nalhunter said:

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week. I've been doing some research in the meantime, and I bought something I probably should have bought alot sooner, a fossil field guide. According to the geological map, the rocks here are Mississippian age. According to everything I've read, the only trilobites still around in the Mississippian period were from the order Proetida. 

That is correct. 

Only the Proetids are found in Carboniferous or Permian rocks. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm wondering about a clam, something like Trigonia. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library