Intermittent Warmth on the Peace 1/10/18

Cam28

But the water was still pretty cold lol, not too shabby. Got the day off, doing something career-wise in the morning; so why not dig in the afternoon.. Saw a few dead tilapia probably from the recent freeze; one was franticly swimming about where water met land, no idear why. Anyways, started out not getting much gravel at all (but finding just enough to stay persistent), by the end kicking myself in the behind for not finding the gravel motherload sooner. Oh well, leaves some for the rest I suppose (for now..). Not too much luck w/ the small snaggles I was after again, would think they'd be super abundant for how common the big-ens are but they ain't lol, again just pesky small grey shark teeth seem to be. The few small hemi lowers I do have are looking better every moment, no idea why they are not more common & I have a good eye for it.. Some I kept only to donate to the upcoming fossil fest (but some of the smaller complete ones I'm keeping to expand the collection). Know I won't be lugging the 1/4" mesh PVC sifter to the 1/27 group hunt, but nice to use it every once in a while for more variety. Couple horse teeth, few nice little 'cuda teeth. One big stingray barb frag, must have been pretty long when whole. One very cool complete hemi, think it's a lower. Oh & a bone that really caught my attention ended up being a dugong skullcap!

002_edited.jpg

Think the longest one (top, middle) might be whale rib(?) No idea what the big spiral one (on the right) is but my gut says invert

008 edited.jpg

Also been wondering what these are. Usually find smaller ones, seem like some kind of molar

& no idea what this bone is, please & thanks :)

012 edited.jpg

3 hours ago, Cam28 said:

Also been wondering what these are. Usually find smaller ones, seem like some kind of molar

Phosphate nodules.

3 hours ago, Cam28 said:

& no idea what this bone is, please & thanks :)

Does not show bone texture,  a suggestively shaped rock.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Phosphate nodules.

Does not show bone texture,  a suggestively shaped rock.

Interesting, thanks. I believe seeing the little circular indentions on some of them it looked biological. & Another sneaky pseudo-fossil, cool

4 hours ago, ynot said:

PS Nice finds.

Thanks, by no means my best hunt, hopefully not my best of 2018 lol. Still a few memorable finds, part of why I love this lifestyle so much

Nice finds Paul, looking forward to the member hunt :) after Kevin popping out that dire wolf mandible on the last one I’m pretty optimistic something good will do the same this time :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Still some good finds and a pseudofossil or two as a bonus! :)

I'd be well happy. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Very nice finds and I am sure this will not be your best hunt of 2018.

Still have many more days to go.  Like almost a whole year.  Good luck.

Archived