family collecting at paid sites

Jdeutsch

I've seen many postings over the years about paid sites to collect.  Does the forum have a repository of those sites someplace?

for instance- When my children were younger (1990's) we made three trips to Kemmerer,, Wy a couple of trips to Florissant, CO, a trip to U DIg in Utah, all of which I would recommend, although 20 yrs later I'm not sure how good those sites are.

These trips are nice for people who are out for a (summer) vacation and want an interesting family experience.  Besides, no one has to keep these sites secret.  Sites out of the USA would also be of great interest.

There are also many easy public collecting areas, where there are many leftovers (Venice Beach, FL), or endless supplies of material (like the 50 mile radius of Cincinnati) that could be included in the thread

If there isn't already a thread (I didn't find it on a casual search) would it be of interest to the forum to list a pinned thread of sites people have used that are family friendly, or perhaps more exotic/expensive for those with more money and older children, such as some of the Nebraska ranches)?

This thread could be used as a vacation planner,   I apologize if this information is already in a file and I am just missing it.

Many of the postings here are from that small part of the community that have the most knowledge and experience.  The majority of collectors are likely more casual, but some of the young ones will be the experts of the future.

12 minutes ago, Jdeutsch said:

When my children were younger (1990's) we made three trips to Kemmerer,, Wy a couple of trips to Florissant, CO, a trip to U DIg in Utah, all of which I would recommend, although 20 yrs later I'm not sure how good those sites are.

Those sites seem to have virtually unlimited numbers of fossils. I've visited 2 of the 3 in the last year and they are still productive and good fun.

There is a Maps section to this forum and mostly it contains the locations where other members may be found. It is possible to place commonly known public pay-to-dig sites there or other widely known areas. I've added a pin for the Peace River when this feature was first (re)added to the forum. I would strongly caution against pinning any of your super secret honey holes to this map lest they be raided by unscrupulous visitors to the site (though I'm sure our fine membership would never think of doing such a thing :)).

There have been various topics on this site that have discussed numerous pay-to-dig sites or well known spots like the St. Leon road cut in Indiana, Mazon Creek or the Peace River. I just don't think anybody has taken the time to organize these in a single posting or take the effort to put a pin in forum's map.

Cheers.

-Ken

Perhaps not the most convenient method, but still useful nonetheless, is to read the threads associated with all the geographical areas under the main "Fossil Sites" header. That is how I came to discover sites around me, or those situated in areas I would be traveling through.

Occasionally, curious members will post a question on those threads about collecting in a particular country/state/province/district/region, and other members weigh in with suggestions. There is a great deal of information wealth in those threads. Some have indicated if they are family-friendly either directly or indirectly.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Here is a link to the Fossil Sites Markers on the Map. 

If people would like to add the missing ones, you should feel free to do so. 

Sites off hand that I can think of - such as :

U-dig, 

A New Dig,

Kemmerer, (Fossil Safari, Ulrich's, and American Fossil Quarry) 

Shark Tooth Hill, 

Mineral Wells, 

St Leon Road Cuts, ... just to name a few. 

Reviews of the sites would be helpful, as well. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Don’t forget penn dixie (paid)! Also, the good old Calvert cliffs sites (quite few, all different in finds as well as price. Some are free certain times of the year) and purse state park/Douglas point (free). 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

There are at least a couple guides/tours on the Peace River, Fred Mazza with Paleodiscoveries (have dug beside him, great guy) & Mark Renz (also an author of some good books, wouldn't let me dig with him one time that I tried, prefers novices), probably worth it if visiting Florida/really want the means to near instant great stuff, otherwise if you live in Florida you have better alternatives 

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a thread, perhaps in fossil trips

people could post sites they have been to that are not secret, and that are easy-there should be plenty of sites  so far, just in this thread the contributors have mentioned several

for instance, If I started a thread "show me your shark teeth"  I'd get lots of action from people showing their shark teeth

If there was a thread "Show me your best family friendly collecting sites"  vacation planner- it might be a nice reference.  Should this thread be in fossils trips, General discussion, etc 

for example

Utah   U DIg Fossils outside of Delta, Utah-  great place to collect Cambrian trilobites - specimens are plentiful and people over the age of 7 are allowed to collect for a fee.  Was there with my family, got many specimens.  It's a bit out of the way.

I know there are many places mentioned on the forum, as pointed out above, and I'm not asking the administrators to create it.  I'm more asking what would be the best way to do this and where would be a good place for this thread.  I know I would refer to something like that thread if I was taking a trip someplace.  It seems better than posting a question "Does anyone know a good place to collect in XXX?" since people don't want to put their special spots on line.

13 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Here is a link to the Fossil Sites Markers on the Map. 

If people would like to add the missing ones, you should feel free to do so. 

Sites off hand that I can think of - such as :

U-dig, 

A New Dig,

Kemmerer, (Fossil Safari, Ulrich's, and American Fossil Quarry) 

Shark Tooth Hill, 

Mineral Wells, 

St Leon Road Cuts, ... just to name a few. 

Reviews of the sites would be helpful, as well. ;) 

Good list but I believe A New Dig is now closed.  Another one to remember is Oak Springs Trilobite Site in eastern Nevada.  Just off of a good highway and free to dig.  But you are on your own to find anything.

9 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Good list but I believe A New Dig is now closed.

Sad to hear that Clay no longer seems to be operating the A New Dig quarry site. We had a great time at the VIP level of his quarry nearly a decade ago and I still have a nice little bowl of trilobites from there sitting next to my couch in the living room. Walk by them every day and fondly remember popping those out of the fresh shale slabs he pulled out for us with the heavy machinery.

Cheers.

-Ken

I think the map function is definitely underutilized. I never even noticed it until a few weeks ago. I would love to see more actual sites for when I try to make a road trip. Right now I basically look up what is family friendly, look up what I can on sites here, buy books on geology around there, and then do more research. I'm not saying I'm going to stop that, but it definitely make life easier when you see brownies beach on a map when planning a trip to DC. Obviously I don't think everyone should post their sweet secret spots, but it would be nice to have more pinned common openly acknowledged and pay for sites listed.

Archived