To the moderators

RJB

There was a post about some sort of legality of fossil hunting not too long ago and i was amazed at how patient the moderators were!  Then it was closed off. Im starting to love these guys!  Lots of kudo's to all you moderators!!!  Woooooop,,, Wooooop,,,  Im just a little peon that has no patience for that.  I need to invite all you moderators for a big steak and baked tator and wiskey dinner sometime.  Nothing but smiles from me for all of you.  This is a great forum and you guys are simply the best!!!   Like the grinch, my heart has grown a bit larger!!!  :)

RB

That post was getting very sticky so I am glad that the moderators put a stop to it before it went any further. Thank you to all the moderators for keeping TFF a respectful and kind community where the sharing of knowledge can happen without drama! I am glad to be a part of this community. :dinothumb:

I also think the moderators do a fine job and after reading that legality post. It was very clear the moderator know what they are talking about both with legality of fossil collecting and with  TFF place in the science.  

Thank you moderators for your hard work. I am very happy to be part of TFF family.

cheers Bobby 

Gee whiz...shucks...and DARN!  I must have missed that post somehow.  Too bad...I would have enjoyed joining in on THAT one!

We DO have great moderators and this is, by FAR, the best on-line forum I've ever been a part of (and I have been a part of a few of them)!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thank you moderators.

I want to share two stories about ethical fossil collecting.

In the first, a group of my friends and I joined a team of geologists to survey a nearby island that may have had fossils. We chanced upon a cliff wall which contained likely fossil worm burrows. This was my first hunt, and I yearned to bring something home. However, the geologists told us that we should leave everything intact for future explorers to admire. We agreed. Later, a friend lagged behind. Sensing something amiss, I went back to the cliff wall to see him smashing rocks against the cliff wall to dislodge a small chunk so he could keep it.

I am ashamed to say I only told him off. Still, that told me plenty enough about his character.

In the second, I had the fortune of meeting a paleontologist from a respected USA museum. Over tea, we had a lengthy discussion about the osteology of various dinosaur species and their young, and the difficulties it take to maintain a museum. The topic then came to ethical fossil collecting, and this lovely paleontologist gave me a statement I would never forget: "No one should keep any fossils at all. Leave that to the museums. Not even common ones like the knightia fish. Why, you ask me? Imagine if you had thousands of knightia in the museum - imagine what you could learn off them!"

I am ashamed to say I merely nodded my head and said, "That's an unusual approach." I really should have called out this paleontologist for the naivety of that statement.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

They want them all to themselves. (or at least many do and so do the museums)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I saw that thread go awry with comments and such.  I thought the moderators were correct in closing it.  I also praise the moderators here as well as many others who contribute to the forum.  We all know what the rules are and follow them.  Drama and trolls have no place in a respective forum. 

I have found this forum to be full of knowledgeable and respected members who offer a lot. 

Thank you moderators for keeping it clean.  

I haven't been banned for talking gibberish and making bad jokes, yet, so the moderators are great in my book. 

It seems very fair and balanced here on TFF

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I haven't been banned for talking gibberish and making bad jokes, yet, so the moderators are great in my book. 

I bet your jokes came very close mate. :D Borderline 

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I concur! I have made rather foolish statements in my earlier years in TFF. The mods didn't ban me for that so yes, they are awesome!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I bet your jokes came very close mate. :D Borderline 

3 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I concur! I have made rather foolish statements in my earlier years in TFF. The mods didn't ban me for that so yes, they are awesome!

Perhaps they haven't noticed us yet. 

Oops! :o

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yeah I've said some questionable things on the forum when I first joined, so thanks for not banning me :blush: Compared to other forums, this forum is by far the most respectful and 'clean' , well done to all the mods and admins!

I too watched that thread and was curious where it was going. I never did get to see how it ended, but felt the moderators were very respectful to all involved. I think most of us on here try to be as ethical as we can, but you might think you know the rules, only to find out later it's a no go. My daughter and I saw some chunkasaurus while out hunting blm lands for invertebrates in Montana, and as tempting as it was, we both knew to not touch it.

As long as I've been collecting and that's a lifetime, there has usually been a natural conflict between hobbyist and professionals. This is ostensibly a discussion board for collectors and understandably takes the collectors side in any discussion. I'm sure there are exceptions and many professionals either tolerate collectors or sometimes find them convenient. But I suspect underneath the commercial aspect of it or hobbyist in general grates on their professional nerves.

Archived