3depix

Ceratosaurus 3D Reconstruction Project

3depix

Hi everyone!

As I have mentioned several times, being a 3D artist I am trying to move into the field of paleoart. Recently I have started modeling Ceratosaurus nasicornis in 3D, and I really want to make it as accurate and plausible as possible. Here is what I have got so far: a basic model done in 3ds Max. After this I am planning to take it to ZBrush and add more muscle definition, sking wrinkles, scales and other fine details. At this stage this is just the base and I would like to share it with you guys in order to receive some feedback from those who know their dinosaur anatomy. Did I get the shape and overall structure right?

Constructive criticism is more then welcome, pretty much this is what I am asking for here.

1. Mesh

Cerat_Mesh.thumb.jpg.89f794aba67a7553c3a6701e2b8481da.jpg 

2. Body

cerato_init_01.thumb.jpg.1d23348734cafd2ae3c5c760387f25c6.jpg

3. Perspective

cerato_init_02.thumb.jpg.8a3242a2f030445b546f316ca4dc96d2.jpg

4. Back

cerato_init_03.thumb.jpg.dfcfdca08f5a83322f5d1e298e891b9d.jpg

5. Top view

cerato_init_04.thumb.jpg.f26fd073e6185569dd3a971237b4a0c7.jpg

6. Head close-up

cerato_init_05.thumb.jpg.bdd2c1972fa5a66c52c2bad292be5744.jpg

Troodon

Scott is one of the best to re-create the sketal structure and overall shape and following his lead not a bad idea.

nasicornis.png.2d5524f8400414cdab0afa889990c153.png

I always think everyone including yourself over exaggerate the horns even with keratin,  I'm sure everyone has their opinion.

20180113_060600.thumb.jpg.c7694f576d929f9ec59e94a2fc02bbb2.jpg20180113_060605.thumb.jpg.c7dd04ea96f2dee8fc111d3420b02beb.jpg

WhodamanHD

Only thing I have to say is don’t fatten the neck up quite as much as a rex because the head of a T. rex is massive and required a fatter neck. Great job so far:dinothumb:

3depix

@LordTrilobite Thank you very much for such a detailed and helpful response! Really appreciate this.

I will do my best to implement your suggestions: definitely try to fix the shrink-wrap effect on the skull, give the lower jaw more volume at the back an try to make a better connection of the skull to the  the neck. Also, will widen the tail base.

I will also add more loose skin and some musculature later in other application (ZBrush) but this will be the next step.

Regarding the lips: well, it is pretty hard to imagine how one can hide Ceratoaur's upper teeth as they project almost past the lower margin of the mandible. I know there are debates about the absence or presence of the lips in dinosaurs, but, as you have mentioned, nobody has won so far.

Thanks for the link to Witton's article! Really interesting info.

3depix

@Troodon Thank you for your input! Yes, I did use exactly this Hartman's reconstruction you posted.

With the crest I tried to keep it safe: made it a bit more than the bony base, but didn't go too crazy. Who knows?

3depix

@WhodamanHD Roger that! This is something to watch for when I start putting more muscles on it in ZBrush, it is easy to get carried away with sculpting process and end up with a dinosaur on steroids.

LordTrilobite

Also there's this rather cool scan on sketchfab that could be useful reference.

3depix

Here is a couple of updated images. I have made the tail base a bit wider, also tried to reduce  shrink-wrapping effect on the head.

What do you think?

cerato_init_06.jpg

cerato_init_07.jpg

LordTrilobite

Looks quite good, definitely an improvement.