Advice on a Edestus shark tooth

dontom

I was looking for some advice on what to do with this edestus tooth.  How can I tell if there are anymore teeth under the matrix?  It looks like the enamel continues on for a bit further but I can’t tell how much further or if there are anymore teeth. I was wondering if there are any experts here that can tell just by looking at it. 

I want to leave the tooth and jaw in the matrix because I already have a jaw and tooth out of the matrix. Should I try to clean some matrix away from the tooth? if so how far?  Or should I leave it as is because I know how fragile these are?

thanks for any help. 

F4334ED7-E0F1-4A21-A903-0565DA8980DE.jpeg

3CE46C77-2024-45FD-A03B-986953C5ED44.jpeg

C33027ED-14E2-4539-BD74-9194AA1D9DB1.jpeg

6F2BE886-A841-4FE3-9BB9-F04A16A676FB.jpeg

Nice find!

I believe there is more of the exposed tooth and possibly other teeth there. 

Maybe @Ptychodus04 can offer some ideas.

Good luck.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just out of curiosity, did You find this - if so when and where?

Also Can We see pictures of the other one (not in matrix) that You referred to?

I didn’t find it. It was a purchase but it was found in Coulterville, Illinois. The matrix is fairly soft and flaky. I believe it’s shale.  The other one I have is a single tooth with a smaller piece of jaw segment.  I’ll get some pics when I get a chance. 

I can tell that the first tooth is complete under the matrix. I’m just not sure if there’s anything after that. I don’t want to risk breaking it only to find that there’s no other teeth but if there are other teeth I def want to expose them. That’s why I thought I’d ask here before I messed with it. 

The two look very similar. (and lovely) 

If this new ones the same I would say there aren't likely to be any more teeth under the matrix. 

But I think I'd gently flake off a bit of the matrix next to the revealed tooth just to be sure. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I would not assume the lack of further teeth on a small fragment out of matrix indicates the lack of teeth on a larger fragment in matrix. The only way to know is to do some detective work with a needle. 

If your comfortable doing so, begin to scrape matrix away with a needle or dental pick near the bone and working away.  It will go very slowly but you don’t risk as much damage to the fossil. If you’re not comfortable and want professional help, shoot me a PM and we can chat. 

If You are not experienced with prepping - You should have it done by an experienced prepper.

It would be tragic to destroy such a nice piece because of inexperience.

Ptychodus04 does very good work.

Thanks for the tips. I decided to give it a try and see what I could find.  After I did a little digging there doesnt appear to be any more teeth so I stopped after exposing the first tooth.  I think I did a decent job considering I don’t know what I’m doing. I could of cleaned it up a little bit more but I didn’t want to risk messing it up. 

BD7416A4-F6B5-46DF-9C9F-54D7DF92E32E.jpeg

CEAACB9C-CA9E-4548-888E-60C176AC35FE.jpeg

F9A0046C-E4FC-411B-85A0-C8F54CD87346.jpeg

Archived