Possible Human Modified Bone?

Jlpastrone

Hello again!  Found this bone fragment at Flag Pond yesterday and it appears that it may have been modified.  Could it possibly been a Native American tool?  Notice the point, symmetrical indentations at the base/stem and the hole at the base.  

Thank you for your help!

IMG_7882.jpg

IMG_7883.jpg

IMG_7885.jpg

IMG_7887.jpg

IMG_7888.jpg

I’d say it’s nature playing tricks on you as well. Not that fossils were not modified by humans in this area, the Calvert Marine Museum has a meg tooth that was used as a scrapper a few thousand years ago. Has it thawed out any? I was thinking of heading to brownies today, if not just for micro.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the analysis! It did thaw out as of yesterday. But the wind made decent waves so it was hard to see in the water.  Might be some shoreline freezing today, but probably still okay for micro. Also the wind has died down so should be easier to see in the water. 

22 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’d say it’s nature playing tricks on you as well. Not that fossils were not modified by humans in this area, the Calvert Marine Museum has a meg tooth that was used as a scrapper a few thousand years ago. Has it thawed out any? I was thinking of heading to brownies today, if not just for micro.

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The hole at the base looks like a natural opening which vessels and nerves pass through. 

Do the holes usually run the length? This whole is conical and stops. 

33 minutes ago, Jlpastrone said:

Do the holes usually run the length? This whole is conical and stops. 

Bones are not just structural. They are dynamic actors that must be fed by vessels.

• I found this Informative 1