Brownie’s Beach Trip 4

eannis6

Hello everyone! I recently took my fourth fossil hunting trip to the Calvert cliffs. It was not too cold, but there was ice actually washing up on the beach! I had waiders on and dressed warmly. I went with my friend and his sister. We searched all day, but the tide was just too high to fully search well. We had not found much at this point except a few very small teeth and some bone of some sort. As we walked back to the truck, I saw a small tooth sticking out of the cliff by my foot so I pulled it out. Next to it was the largest tooth I’ve ever found, embedded in cliff next to the other. I bent down and carefully got it out, and it was the largest tooth that I’ve ever found! It is a lower anterior mako! My friends sister then found a c hastalis. It was a great trip. Here are a couple of the finds! Thanks for reading!

19DCB139-856A-4113-ADD1-3CE00B62126B.jpeg

C5F311CD-2FA4-46BF-9110-39E0DF23763D.jpeg

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Nice tooth, glad you were able to enjoy the day without frostbite.

Thanks Cal! I’m sure I came close, but it was awesome. Also- for anyone out there in the water by the cliffs now, always bring a buddy. My friends sister was stuck knee deep in mud out in the water, and she said that she felt like if she was alone, she wouldn’t have made it out. It can be dangerous out there. Be safe!

Nice finds:dinothumb:

I’m heading there currently.  It was frozen out to about twenty feet last time I was there (the 15 degrees warded off the crowds though). Be careful digging in the cliffs (it’s a bit illegal btw) they can and will fall. If it’s one of the fallen boulders your safe and it’s legal.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

49 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice finds:dinothumb:

I’m heading there currently.  It was frozen out to about twenty feet last time I was there (the 15 degrees warded off the crowds though). Be careful digging in the cliffs (it’s a bit illegal btw) they can and will fall. If it’s one of the fallen boulders your safe and it’s legal.

It was sort of a crumpled part of cliff by my feet, I have great respect for the danger and legality of digging in the cliffs. Thanks for the warning though. I figured no harm done :) 

1 hour ago, eannis6 said:

It was sort of a crumpled part of cliff by my feet, I have great respect for the danger and legality of digging in the cliffs. Thanks for the warning though. I figured no harm done :) 

I know what your talking about, that’s fun to collect in. Just wanted to make sure. Good luck on further hunts, maybe I’ll see ya on the beach:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I know what your talking about, that’s fun to collect in. Just wanted to make sure. Good luck on further hunts, maybe I’ll see ya on the beach:D

Thanks a lot!! That would be really neat! Maybe we can plan a trip at the same time sometime. I’m gonna be busy with college for a while, but maybe this spring!

32 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

Thanks a lot!! That would be really neat! Maybe we can plan a trip at the same time sometime. I’m gonna be busy with college for a while, but maybe this spring!

Sure! Someday all of us in the area need to plan a trip as well, it would be good see all those friends I have here face to face.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds! That croc vert is more likely to be a cetacean related vert but could also be mammal.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Great finds! That croc vert is more likely to be a cetacean related vert but could also be mammal.

Thanks for the input! I only guessed croc due to the extreme concavity on one side and then the convexity on the opposite side.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:29 PM, Fossil-Hound said:

You are spot on with this, I was told by a paleontologist at calvert marine museum that it was part of a cetacean animals atlas vertebra.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:45 PM, eannis6 said:

You are spot on with this, I was told by a paleontologist at calvert marine museum that it was part of a cetacean animals atlas vertebra.

Yeah thought that looked familiar. :D

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

That Mako sure is beautiful! Seems to me like the Makos from the Calvert area tend to be lighter in color, but you managed to find a really nice dark one. Really slick-looking. Nice finds!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

18 hours ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

That Mako sure is beautiful! Seems to me like the Makos from the Calvert area tend to be lighter in color, but you managed to find a really nice dark one. Really slick-looking. Nice finds!

Hey thanks very much! I look forward to seeing your finds!!!

Archived