Pseudodechenella?

Kane

I was going through some containers from a few years back when I returned to collecting, and it had a bunch of pieces I had collected from my mixed fill location (lower to mid Devonian). I came across this little pygidium. The squares are 5 mm x 5 mm. 

Going through some of the literature to compare photo plates from Ludvigsen and Lesperance, as well as scanning the Proetids in Levi-Setti and Whittington, there just didn't seem to be a perfect match. 

The axis sits fairly high on this one, a little like Mannopyge halli, but unlike the M. halli does not have the terminal nodes. The axis "points" downward rather dramatically, and has some apparent incisions. There is a small but distinct margin on the pygidium that made me think one of the Dechenella types.

I've tentatively labeled it Pseudodechenella although I am not comfortable with that identification for this one. The Pseudodechenella I usually find don't have this very pronounced axial feature, and usually have a kind of smoother shell on the pygidium. 

I may be overthinking this, but I put this one out there for our Devo bug experts. Much appreciated for any help on this one. :) 

fullsizeoutput_394.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_395.jpeg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The pronounced axis is more like Mannopyge (which I only know from seeing your stuff here and elsewhere!) but Mannopyge doesn't have the flat border around the pygidium (again from your notes, I think). 

Golly, i'm not much help! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The pronounced axis is more like Mannopyge (which I only know from seeing your stuff here and elsewhere!) but Mannopyge doesn't have the flat border around the pygidium (again from your notes, I think). 

Golly, i'm not much help! 

Heh, well I think little mysteries like these serve me right for poking around old containers on a wintry Sunday afternoon! :D But, yes, it is that axis that is confusing me as it looks very unlike any Pseudodechenella I've ever found.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer