Late Pleistocene bird claws

siteseer

These two claws were collected from tar seeps in Kern County, California by the late George Lee back in the 70's.  I have seen bird claws identified to species before and would like to know if these two can be as well.  A friend has a variety of fossils from there and asked me about these today.  The larger claw is 31 mm from tip to most distant part of the back of it.   The other is 27 mm.

Thanks,

Jess

eagle1.jpg

eagle2.jpg

@siteseer

You end up with some of the coolest stuff!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

They look like eagle claws , to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Perhaps something in the vulture lineage. The tar pools there are of the same type as the LaBrea pits. Might be from a scavenger bird.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Where is Chas? @Auspex  He used to be able to identify not only the raptor but the specific claw on the talon.

Nice fossils!!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 5 years later...

These are consistent with Eagle, of which there were a couple at La Brea. I think they are Bald Eagle, by size and strong curvature; right for fish-eaters.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, caldigger said:

Might be from a scavenger bird

Of which there were many. Their claw cores have a much flatter curve to them.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!