Turtle skull from Kem Kem

msantix

Hi, 

There is this turtle skull for sale that is from the Kem Kem and i wanted to see if this is real (or if it has restoration work done on it) since this is the first turtle skull i have seen out of the Kem Kem. Thanks :).

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Have seen it and it looks like a real partial skull.  Most of the fake ones are on matrix and are complete skulls.  I was trying to look for sutures but the skull appears to be covered with matrix but think its still okay

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks Troodon. I have never seen a turtle skull from the Kem Kem so i figured it would be better to get the opinion of the experts on here (better to be safe than sorry).

As Troodon says, i can't see why they'd fake a partial that doesn't really look like much when they'd get a lot more for a complete head. 

It doesn't look impressive enough to be fake. 

i think it's real. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I was looking at this as well. Most of the photos are just out of focus so that it's hard to tell any good detail. But if it's completely real, I think there is prep damage on the dorsal surface. It could be a good piece, or it could be a bit of a stinker, I've bought fro this seller before though. Mostly misidentified, many with prep damage, and many repaired. But I haven't seen any fabrications from this seller so far.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found a second turtle skull from the Kem Kem on the market and this looks like a complete skull so i wanted to post some pictures on here to compare to the original (partial) skull and get the opinions on whether this is real or what to look out for (this skull is about 2.3" in length and 2" in width).

Turtle Skull Fossil  MF20E.jpgMF20F.jpgMF20C.jpgMF20D.jpg

It's got that same coating as the small one but I can see bone evidence of bone at the edges.  I think it's real but without seeing more evidence like sutures I would stay away from it, would need a lot of prep.

The area i have highlighted looks like the beginning of sutures to me, this is another type of matrix in the kem kem i can say is legit, and is a coarse like sandstone conglomerate layer, it might be a bit difficult to remove, but would be very hard to fake this I feel and i would go with the intention of buying this one if you are happy doing prep work, or paying for prep work as this would be a lovely piece in anyone's collection.

InkedMF20D_LI.jpg