Bone fragments and scutes - Brazos River, SE Texas

Brookie13

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and my first time taking pictures of fossils for help with ID's. I promise I will get better!

About these fossils:

These bone fragments and scutes were found west of Houston, TX, along the Brazos River (Fort Bend and Waller Counties). All of these specimens were found loose, on several different gravel bars. From the preliminary research I have done already, it looks like they are all Pleistocene in age. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

This is what I think so far...

Specimens 1 and 2: Alligator scutes from the Pleistocene

Specimens 3 and 4: Soft shell turtle scutes from the Pleistocene

Specimen 5: Unknown

Specimens 6, 7, and 8: They look like leg bone fragments from Pleistocene mammals, but that's about all I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, any input you can provide on how to take better pictures would be very helpful.

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

Great pictures for a first go! 

Really helps me to say that you're probably right with your ids but that's as close as I can go. 

Nice finds! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 is turtle too I believe, welcome to the forum from Maryland!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

5 is turtle too I believe, welcome to the forum from Maryland!

Thanks very much! 

13 minutes ago, garyc said:

I agree with the others. Also number seven could be a very worn camel phalanx 

That would be so cool! What are some of the more common Pleistocene mammals that are found in the Brazos River area? In other words, what is the most likely mammals to find? Horses, camels, maybe bison?

1 hour ago, Brookie13 said:

That would be so cool! What are some of the more common Pleistocene mammals that are found in the Brazos River area? In other words, what is the most likely mammals to find? Horses, camels, maybe bison?

Horse, bison (often confused with cow) and turtle are the most common finds.  Then there are tons and tons of tumbled, shattered and worn fragments devoid of useful diagnostic features.  But sometimes, Ma Nature will toss you a whole bone or side of a mandible.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

4 hours ago, Brookie13 said:

All of the above including Mammoth, Mastodon, Sloth, possible rhino. (Megafauna)

1 hour ago, bone2stone said:

All of the above including Mammoth, Mastodon, Sloth, possible rhino. (Megafauna)

Hi Jesse

My understanding is that rhino (Aphelops, Menoceras, et. al.) died out in the Pliocene in TX, so their remains would be highly unlikely in the Houston area.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the replies! On the same day, at the same location, my buddy picked up this specimen. He took it home with him, but sent me some pictures today. After going through these forums, I’m starting to think it’s a Pleistocene claw, but I just don’t know from what. What do y’all think?

E9C90DB6-88C0-4AAB-AD48-0D8553D297E1.jpeg

A9C75404-B046-4C08-8A25-103707B55587.jpeg

D969B9C0-A410-4B5F-B14C-171053412B49.jpeg

294BAC32-F718-4101-9830-4267B49E5798.jpeg

I live in The Woodlands area north of Houston and have been looking for someplace near / around Houston to take my 7 & 9 year old boys fossil hunting. We're tired of Cretaceous Glen Rose marine fossils and are ready to move on to something "newer." 

Would you mind sharing where along the Brazos you found these fossils? 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Marcus said:

ould you mind sharing where along the Brazos you found these fossils? 

Such requests are best made over PM. Thousands of non-members view these topics;)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 1/18/2018 at 5:08 AM, Brookie13 said:

Thanks for the replies! On the same day, at the same location, my buddy picked up this specimen. He took it home with him, but sent me some pictures today. After going through these forums, I’m starting to think it’s a Pleistocene claw, but I just don’t know from what. What do y’all think?

I'm wondering if can't be a Perciformes / Pristiformes rostrum.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 1/21/2018 at 3:42 PM, abyssunder said:

I'm wondering if can't be a Perciformes / Pristiformes rostrum.

Oh wow, I wouldn't have thought of that. I just spent a little time looking some of them up. Its a possibility, but I just saw an earlier post about croc teeth, and those look more like it...perhaps

Archived