Segnosaur Clutch - Smoky Black

BadlandTraveller

I'm decent with Hadrosaur eggs but a little new with Segnosaur eggs and I'm hoping to get the forums input. 

Thoughts on the authenticity on the eggs? 

Thank you.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My thought was it was just a protective coating to keep the shells from coming apart.   Not a good consolidation whatever they used.

Yes there is a layer of resin coating to protect the eggs. Not my favorite thing but it is what it is.

The eggs have a vague history but originally from China.

I'll attach another picture for size. 

I'm inclined to say they are the real deal, right size, shape, color of matrix, eggshell looks good and the right shape of clutch.    I do not like the coating it does detract from the nest but like you said it is what it is.  The only other issue is not really knowing its locality but its at least China.  Need to hear from the others.

I stand with Troodon in that the coating is distracting, and makes it hard to ID.

But the size, shape and structure of nest does look look like a Segnosaur nest. What little I can see of the eggshell looks like prepped Segnosaur eggs too.

5a5fec37b7260_seg1.jpg.dccde28a449a888526f038e2826d52a5.jpg

The red matrix matches that of eggs from Henan Province, which is where many Segnosaur eggs come from. I attached a picture of an unprepped Segnosaur egg nest from my friend's collection.

seg_2.thumb.jpg.09545a646ae63954d6fedfd5f936b66d.jpg

All in all, I'd say you likely have a genuine Segnosaur nest, but again, the consolidant makes it hard to tell how much repair or composition was done.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The eggs look genuine to me.  The shiny coating is possibly from a mixture of glue and varnish, that's a cheap fixing agent to fix the fossil eggs used by some in China.  Perhaps too much varnish was used and so it appears so shiny.

IMG_0180.JPG

a question for the experts (not my status!): is the position of the eggs that touch or seem packed against each other correct? In Andy's picture, we see well separated eggs.

The nest looks real to me but I agree that the shiny gloss put on the nest nest detracts from it. 

Archived