Ammonight

Help needed to identify these ammonites and shark teeth. Thanks.

c0719876-af81-43e6-8de6-450c77d46110.jpg

IMG_5674.JPG

IMG_5677.JPG

IMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

I don't know about the ammonite but the shark tooth looks like it might be Cretolamna, a genus of mackerel shark that existed from the lower Cretaceous to early Eocene. 

The first ammonite is a Douvilleiceras, likely Douvilleiceras mammilatum and certainly from Madagascar.  The second ammonite cannot be identified; cross sections provide no diagnostic characters, and the outer surface has been ground down so far that all diagnostic features have been removed.

Don

By the way, cretolamna is widely thought to be an ancestor to megalodon, so I’m a way you hav the megs Great granddaddy (though there are a few more greats in between)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Shark tooth is Cretalamna maroccana from the Maastrichthian (latest Cretaceous) of Ouled Abdoun, Morocco.

The Tooth Fairy

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The first ammonite is a Douvilleiceras, likely Douvilleiceras mammilatum and certainly from Madagascar.  The second ammonite cannot be identified; cross sections provide no diagnostic characters, and the outer surface has been ground down so far that all diagnostic features have been removed.

Don

I'll second that.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived