Ammonite id help please

DanJeavs

Found this rather large ammonite down at Charmouth on the stonebarrow side. Rather new to the whole identification side of things so any help would be much appreciated ☺️

4E8683BD-3EA0-4E3C-921C-C80F57B3ECF2.jpeg

Ya, the ammonite is OK.  But that towel is terrific!!!  Did you find the whole set?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

This is definitely Liparoceras, and a beautiful example. Does it look as though it may be complete to the centre? Often the centres are crushed unless they are contained within sturdy nodules. Looking at the bottom, I wonder if the centre may be crushed, but it would still be a beautiful ammonite. If that's just clay on it, you could soak it off.

• I found this Informative 1

I honestly can’t tell at the moment, iv

not really got the tools here to try, and don’t want to risk with the chisel just in case haha. There’s a possibility the centre might be there, it’d be nice I must admit. Yes just clay, it was just sitting there half exposed from a new slide. Couldn’t believe my look. Hoping for a few big ones today. Thanks for the help by the way. 

Hi Dan don’t rush any prep work on that ammonite it looks very promising indeed. Great find, also I think @Ludwigia is spot on with his ID after I looked it up.  Cheers Bobby 

Definitely won’t be haha. I’m getting a pen at the end of the month, so it’ll wait until then. Also found this beauty today, although no where near complete and nothing else in sight. 

3B5251F5-B2BE-4B29-860A-D18012412AA7.jpeg

Edited by DanJeavs

If it's just clay, that'll come off with dental picks and water; although it can still get very hard in the centre, in which case it'll need to be air penned.

• I found this Informative 2

Pretty certain it’s clay. By the looks of it, it’s slightly incomplete, just hoping the centres there. I’m sure I’ll post a shot when it’s complete 

Yes, Liparoceras. 

Hope the prepping goes well and look forward to seeing the results! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi guys. So the prepping has VERY, steadily begun, the joys of having a day job. I got back from Charmouth on Saturday and decided to give it an overnight soak to begin with. Sunday was a struggle as I headed out to Filey for the day. Monday evening I finally got to work a bit using a pin Vise and just some brushes. Not a massive change, although it certainly appears that the centre has been crush, oh well. You win some you lose some. Still continuing the prep regardless as it just looks impressive. I’ll post some pictures so far below. 

Thanks. Dan. 

Good work so far. :) It is a long, steady process, but every little bit helps in eventually uncovering the whole specimen. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 2 weeks later...

Work life is taking up far too much time than I’d like. Still managed to get out a few times and work on this for a few hours. Also just purchased the Chicago go 9361 so things will go a lot smother.  Here’s some pictures so far. 

It's a really nice work! Congrats! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

26 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Pity about the missing inner whorls, but the rest is pristine.

Very true, I didn’t have much hope so wasn’t really let down. Although that middle piece does have something underneath, I just haven’t got round to it. Once I have removed the thin layer all over it, it’ll look fantastic ☺️. Dreading the other side, iv touched on it a little and it’s an absolute mess.