Deja Vu all over again

Shellseeker

Back in 2015, on a FPS trip, I found a 3 mya fossil coral that @digit and/or @MikeR identified as Scolymia cubensis. 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/FIGURE-2-Scolymia-species-from-Brazil-A-B-New-occurrence-specimen-of-Scolymia-cubensis-UFBA_237012399_fig2

Fast forward to a Christmas gift a fossil hunting friend gave to my spouse (She has a coral collection and I do not find that much of it) . He said that he found it in the Keys in the 1980s. I guess I should know but is this also Scolymia?

Also a question on coral fossils.  I know that from 2015 I have a 3 mya coral because it came from Tamiami Formation and experts indicated the age of the layer and shells I was finding. Is this new one a fossil? Can I approximate its age?

IMG_0287coral.thumb.jpg.3f129f333b62d04f19a8cf3ba99ee636.jpgIMG_0288coral.thumb.jpg.e909b66e192b9fd181fb4265cc7d38d5.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Unfortunately, I have no information to offer. So I’m going to watch intently so that I will next time:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It is one of the mushroom corals, family Fungiidae. Most live in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. There is an elongated one from the Caribbean but I don’t know if this is it. Pretty sure this is a modern coral.

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

It is one of the mushroom corals, family Fungiidae. Most live in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. There is an elongated one from the Caribbean but I don’t know if this is it. Pretty sure this is a modern coral.

With the hint, I found this reference for fungia scutaria in the Caribbean, but now consider that my fossil friend acquired the very nice looking mushroom/razor coral in a manner other than hunting the reefs.:D

Caribbean.JPG.36ab064df021808fa77867b618a2d1d4.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Ah yes, the ol' souvenir shop find. Ranks right up there with hunting on line. Except you can hold it in your hand prior to purchase.  Pretty piece she recieved.

Dorensigbadges.JPG