Fossil Unknowns, Location Unknown

minnbuckeye

My fossil fascination began about 4 years ago, so I may be a little further along the learning curve than a few of our members. Let me offer this sound advise to all newbies to fossil hunting/ collecting. LABEL your finds with as much detail as one can. I guarantee your memory will NOT be good enough 4 years later and you will end up suffering some of the frustrations that I have experienced with some of my finds. Here are a few items that I am asking identification on simply because I did not label. They were in a very small box and my only written words about them was "tiny fossils". I can not even think of where I collected these at or whether they were gifted to me. I am suspicious that it was Ordovician rock though. So with your help and the confidence I have in our Forum members, I expect the genus, species, and exact road cut that I found these at can be given by 5 pm tonight. Kidding aside, any tidbit of advice is truly appreciated. 

Mike

P.S. For you newbies, ALWAYS include size when posting items for ID, something I always forget. These items are about dime size.

DSC_0424.thumb.JPG.6f06ae74682bfb2402af86eb6e98285d.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

You might check into Carabocrinus calyx plates (not bases) for the bottom two fossils.  Carabocrinus is an Ordovician genus, known from a lot of formations including the Maquoketa.

Don

Doesn't look like you're going to get them down to location or even formation! Hope you do though.

Can you give a list of all the areas you have collected in? Someone might be able to put the peg in the right hole for you then.

I agree with the advice.. Wish I had learned that lesson earlier (and I wish all the people I have acquired fossils from had learned it too)...

Hi,

Heuu.... What is the size of a dime ? Foreigners don't know ! Size of fossils is better ;)

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

@Ludwigia, @Wrangellian, @FossilDAWG, thanks for the information. Carbocrinus images do indeed match my specimens. In my early collecting, I had a few sites in Fillmore and Goodhue Counties of Minnesota that were in the Platteville/ Decorah shale and provided many loose specimens from brachiopods to crinoids to bryozoa. My suspicions are that the road cut at Wangs, Goodhue County is the likely location. Now for the last ID. It is full of little pores so I thought sponge/ bryozoan but it is very symmetrical. Open to suggestions!

@Coco, you  are correct in putting me on the spot regarding a dime's size. It is not the best to use for size indication. I should get a hold of the cubes everyone uses. here is the answer to your question.  

Image result for actual size of a dime

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

including the Maquoketa.

Wasn't that a fad dance in the 90's?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

looks like 2 crinoid plates and a bryozoa to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

calyx plates (not bases)

Sorry. I translated that directly out of the German. I learned all of my terms originally in that language.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 hours ago, westcoast said:

:)

Good one Ludwigia :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

34 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Glad to see you can take the pun-ishment, Herb. :)

You're sans the skeleton, aren't you? :bone:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Can we see the Y-shaped one from the ends, please.

It looks bryozoan, but it may be a sponge.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png