squali

I’m wondering if anyone has experience preping stickleback fishes from a dolomite matrix.  Obviously it is extremely soft and the preservation is decent but can literally be rubbed away with a breath.  Will PVA stabilize dolomite or will it just melt at the introduction of any liquid?  A friend gave me a piece to check out and I’d like to stabilize it.  Any help appreciated.  I can add pics tomorrow if needed.

thanks

Jeff

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I have stabilized some seriously fragile fossils over the years with PVA in acetone. The worst were seriously weathered bones completely “infected” with gypsum.  It was so bad that there was more crumbly gypsum than bones on some. The acetone didn’t cause any problems.

Definitely run a test on a sample but I don’t see why it would be a problem. Just remember the consolidated specimen will be significantly softer one applied until the acetone evaporates.

I’ve ruined specimens bc I didn’t wait long enough after consolidation before handling.

These things have lasted many a millennia,  I am sure it won't hurt to wait a day or so before handling after consolidation. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the responses!  I’ll give it a go this weekend and post some before and after pics.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

These things have lasted many a millennia,  I am sure it won't hurt to wait a day or so before handling after consolidation. Please let us know how it turns out.

Yep, I learned my lesson. I let the fragile stuff sit overnight after consolidation now.

I’m really impressed with the surficial consolidation of the PVA in acetone.  I was worried the cartilage preservation would be effected but it appears to be an excellent consolidant for this type of prep.

This piece is a lesser quality specimen than what may be in some of the other chunks I have so it was a good test piece.

Thanks again for the advice

image 1- untreated-us penny as reference 

image 2- PVA/acetone ‘drip’ application 

image 3- dried and surface sealed.

Im hard pressed to see a difference.

6AA7322F-FACF-4C17-BE03-9F0E33D1E5DA.jpeg

FF33DF75-415E-4036-8D7C-30B971FBCF4A.jpeg

7883D7D2-EB8E-4B00-B64E-2FF80DEAA18A.jpeg

Embarrassing enough I just realized my topic is Dolomite and should be diamataceous matrix (Diatomite)  Can it be changed?  Thanks

55 minutes ago, squali said:

Embarrassing enough I just realized my topic is Dolomite and should be diamataceous matrix (Diatomite)  Can it be changed?  Thanks

I think it is “diatomaceous”, right?

On 1/23/2018 at 8:38 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

I think it is “diatomaceous”, right?

Yes I was going for Diatomite but I missed it by a mile.  Fortunately for me I got great advice on the preservation.

I  had the luxury of tossing the 'bad' ones  cause i used to find so many of these things.  All I did was use a can of clear acrylic and spray the edges and both sides and let dry.  About 10 to 20 minutes.    If the acrylic started to puddle up I knew it was enough. 

RB

damian 2 002.jpg

Archived