Is it a Striatolamia macrota teeth?

Nico CA

I can't identificate it. I found it at marine sandstone from Paleogene.

Also, do somebody has a handbook about chondrichthyes of Cappetta 2012 in PDF?

VC8-1.jpg

VC8-3.jpg

I don't think it is a Striatolamia. Is the scalebar 1 cm? Unfortunately, I don't think you could ID it to the species level because of the preservation. Most likely it is Brachycarcharias cf. lerichei. Although, root looks too robust, so it may also be some Jaekelotodontid (?Mennerotodus) or Carcharias sp. Can I see not so magnified pictures of labial (flat) and lingual (convex) sides?

The Tooth Fairy

8 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

I don't think it is a Striatolamia. Is the scalebar 1 cm? Unfortunately, I don't think you could ID it to the species level because of the preservation. Most likely it is Brachycarcharias cf. lerichei. Although, root looks too robust, so it may also be some Jaekelotodontid (?Mennerotodus) or Carcharias sp. Can I see not so magnified pictures of labial (flat) and lingual (convex) sides?

The scalebar is 1cm. Also I have more tooth like this, someones has 3 cm of length and it looks like this

VC11-3vc03.jpg

VC11-6vc06.jpg

6 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Nico CA...can you be more specific about which Capetta pdf you're interested in?

-Joe

Sorry Joe. Tha Cappetta pdf what I need It's "Handbook of Paleoichthyology Volume 3E: Chondrichthyes (2012)."

4 hours ago, Nico CA said:

The scalebar is 1cm. Also I have more tooth like this, someones has 3 cm of length and it looks like this

VC11-3vc03.jpg

VC11-6vc06.jpg

This tooth should be Carcharias, possibly C. cf. accutissima because of the cusplet shape - Brachycarcharias and Jaekelotodontid cusplets on anterior teeth are usually longer. But it might be different from the first one...

The best pictures for ID are the ones where you can see entire tooth on one picture, fossil teeth are usually identified based on their overall shape and some basic morphological features, not their microstructure; at least two such pictures are needed - labia and lingual side.

The Tooth Fairy