oklahoma confused

oklahoma kid

:headscratch:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Can you post more pictures of it from different angles and tell as where you roughly found it, such as the closest city? There are a lot of different formations in Oklahoma and thus many different time periods. 

It is hard to make any real judgments from the photo, but I am guessing it is of geologic origin. But I could be wrong.

Yes, we need to have some explanation of where you found it, something for size comparison and shots from different angles.

Where in Oklahoma was it found?  (What county, or city?)

It doesn't look like a tooth or claw to me, but better shots in bright light, on a table from top, bottom, and sides would help. 

Please put in some sort of scale for size - tape measure or ruler.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

sorry atoka county oklahoma still havent got all the matrix off it i was thinking a tooth with root intack

1516332784535889160461.jpg

From looking at a geologic map of Atoka county, it appears that it is a hodgepodge of many formations and many geologic periods. I see Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, and Cretaceous sediments all in close proximity. If you remember where you found it in the county you could use an app like Mancos to find the exact formation. There are other online geologic maps that you could also use.

From looking at the pictures it looks to me like it is a suggestively shaped rock and is not in large a fossil. However, I do see what could be fossiliferous inclusions which are darker than the rock. But again, I can’t say from the pictures. 

How long is it?

Is it heavy like rock?  The second picture looks like a carved and polished piece of wood to me like the notch of a tree.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I’m thinking worn sandstone with a bedding line through the middle.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This doesn't look like a fossil to me. :unsure: 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

@oklahoma kid,

Please reply directly to the post here, via the box at the bottom of this page, which says "Reply to this Topic".

Please, DO NOT reply via the notification e-mails.  ;) 

Regards, 

I'm with Kane and Caldigger on this one, I suspect wood. Looks like something someone started to carve then discarded.

Oh i aee i was replyimg on gmail sorry everybody petrified wood i guess it is strange markings on it if someone vcarved on it it had to have been a caveman lol because i took it out of a rockccreation

The inclusion suggest a geologic feature like a mineral vein in limestone, but the surface of the specimen looks like it was carved and polished. Is that the result of your efforts trying to get the matrix off?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

yes thats what it is i didnt polish it but i did wash it vefore that last set of pictures these concrfeations or thats what i call them are they worth thje time and effort to find any thing good ive taken out several objects unidenttified by me was hoping it was some kind of prehistoric beast the area of atoka where im at is as one member said where a bunch of different eras come together there is alot of sea fossils in the area but also there is some kind of winged insect fossilized on this huge rock and are state dinosaur was f2found about 10 miles south these rocks that ive been finding are in a wash and they are showing there thats the only place ive seen these down there ive.brought back sevveral buckets of them and there seems to be some kimd of usually solid object in every one they are very interesting this all started avout 3 years ago on the flat spot above the wash i thought i had discovered a pregistoric beaat dinosaur of some kind still dont know what it is but i brought back a small section of it that had a claw like feature attatched 

The carved marks are not the result from me all those indentions where already there i was careful takimg off the matrix

2 hours ago, oklahoma kid said:

these concrfeations or thats what i call them are they worth thje time and effort to find any thing good

Can You post pictures of one of the "concretions" before You do any "cleaning"?

Also, pictures of the end views and the other side of the piece in the original post?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Heres 3nit would only let me do 3 hang on ill post the rest of the shells of what im calling rock creations let me know i can get some that hasnt been broken but there up in my attic i will though 

Screenshot_20180119-182836.png

Screenshot_20180119-182819.png

Screenshot_20180119-182812.png

7 minutes ago, oklahoma kid said:

it says im not allowed to put 3.95 mb pictures or something ill keep trying

Try refreshing and if that doesn’t work you may have to crop your photos 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived