oklahoma confused

oklahoma kid

1 hour ago, oklahoma kid said:

Heres 3nit would only let me do 3 hang on ill post the rest of the shells of what im calling rock creations

Thanks for the additional pictures.

The concretions are what You suspected. (Not "creations"). They look like iron concretions.

The piece from the original post is not wood - petrified or otherwise. It does have a superficial appearance of wood grain in the side views, but is lacking any in the end views.

I think it may be a chert or flint nodule, but not sure.

Can You scratch it with a knife?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

Not "creations")

Concretions are nature’s creations:P

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

lol well i did scrath it to this point with a razor blade. flint nodule okay well can you find fossils in them

This is the piece that started it all 3 years ago heck it may not be anything either lol the red part of the rocks was barely sticking out of ground thanks for your time and knoledge

Screenshot_20180119-211008.png

Screenshot_20180119-211600.png

7 minutes ago, oklahoma kid said:

well i did scrath it to this point with a razor blade.

If it scratched with a steel blade it is not flint or chert.

Sometimes a concretion will have a finer grain mineralization. This clay like portion can resemble the much harder quartzite minerals (particularly in pictures).

I would say that Your original piece is the center of a concretion not a fossil.

6 minutes ago, oklahoma kid said:

This is the piece that started it all 3 years ago heck it may not be anything either lol the red part of the rocks was barely sticking out of ground thanks for your time and knoledge

The red is caused by oxidized iron that is in the rock. That is why the exposed part is red. The pieces look like a layer of sedimentary sandstone, not a fossil.  There is no bone structure or texture present.

Sometimes a discrete layer of rock will be a slightly more resistant to weathering and will stick out like a ridge.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The long piece actually looks a lot like some of the concretions in these parts, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas. They often form around various objects like shell fragments or baculites or almost anything, which generally decomposes and you’re left with an odd shaped concretion that generally has nothing preserved inside. I’ve picked a few up that were covered with mud or clay thinking they looked bone shaped. They generally don’t look like the surrounding rock material and so they stand out a bit. I have wondered if possibly some of them could have once had bone that deteriorated or mineralized to the point that it blended with the rock.

I live in North Texas and drive up through Atoka several times a year on my way up to NW Arkansas. 

I collect concretions. I generally don’t break them open though. Some similar to yours that I have found chipped or weathered, but generally there is nothing inside. Yours look very interesting. I would be curious about the contents inside too, but from the looks of it they have most likely been permeated with minerals and lost their original structure or composition. They’re still very cool looking though.

I did not know there were so many fossils in Oklahoma until recently. There is a guy who lives in McAlester that posts on Facebook Carboniferous group page with some of the most amazing and interesting plant fossils (from shale I think) that I have ever seen. The colors are what make them so amazing with beautiful shades of light blue, green and yellow and some darker reds, oranges and greens. They are the most unique plant fossils I have ever seen. 

after reading whodaman answer this original post was about seems to be a burrow on the bottom of the sea bed that filled in like a mold and are often misttaken for claws and teeth so i think i got my answer or at least im happy with it yes i have got quite a few interesting pieces out of these

8 hours ago, oklahoma kid said:

after reading whodaman answer this original post was about seems to be a burrow

I made no mention of a burrow, I suggested that it could be a sandstone piece with a line from bedding (which is a layer of stone) line in between. This was before I knew it was from a concretion. I’m with ynoT as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I know im sorry what happened is someone said something about it may be a nodule chert possibly and i started researching it and i came up with the burrow answer after reading how they are often mistaken for claws and teeth did i jump to the wrong conclusion my apologies