2017 Invertebrate / Plant Find Of The Year Poll!

Cris

2017 invertebrate / Plant Find Of The Year!   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote!

• 1. Aphelecrinus randolphensis, Pulaskicrinus campanulus, and Phanocrinus bellulus crinoids - Upper Mississippian (Middle Chesterian) Lower Bangor Limestone - Alabama, USA
    • 2. Spathites puercoensis ammonite - Upper Cretaceous Carlile Shale - New Mexico, USA
    • 3. Thylacocephala Arthropod (Convexicaris mazonensis) - Carbondale Formation - Illinois, USA
    • 4. Sinespinaspis markhami Trilobite - Silurian Cotton Formation - Forbes, NSW, Australia
    • 5. Bellacartwrightia whitelyi Trilobite - Middle Devonian Moscow Formation - New York, USA
    • 6. Tealliocaris woodwardi Multiblock - Lower Carboniferous Gullane Formation - East Lothian, Scotland, USA
    • 7. Damselfly - Eocene Green River Formation - Lincoln County, Wyoming, USA
    • 8. Astrocystites with associated Paleocrinus or Carabocrinus - Bobcaygeon Formation - Ontario, Canada
    • 9. Cornuella cf. ornata Cyrtoconic Nautiloid - Carboniferous, Mississippian, Brigantian substage - County Durham, UK
    • 10. Eldredgeops iowensis southworthi trilobite - Devonian Widder Formation - Hungry Hollow, Ontario, Canada
    • 11. Crinoid - Ordovician Bobcaygeon Formation  - Ontario, Canada
    • 12. Undescribed Jacksonechinus sp. Sea Urchin - Upper Carboniferous - Kasimov Town, Ryazan region, Russia

This poll is closed to new votes

Here we are with our 2017 IPFOTY contest entries. These are all 12 of our month's invertebrate / plant winners, listed in order from the month they won. Carefully review the options and vote for the entry you think deserves to win the title of the 2017 Invertebrate / Plant Fossil of the Year!

Polls close on the 26th of January. You can also vote on the 2017 Vertebrate Fossil of the Year contest HERE.

1. Aphelecrinus randolphensis, Pulaskicrinus campanulus, and Phanocrinus bellulus crinoids - Upper Mississippian (Middle Chesterian) Lower Bangor Limestone - Alabama, USA

Archimedes 2.jpg

Archimedes 1.jpg

2. Spathites puercoensis ammonite - Upper Cretaceous Carlile Shale - New Mexico, USA
entry1-1.jpg
entry1-2.jpg
entry1-3.jpg

3. Thylacocephala Arthropod (Convexicaris mazonensis) - Carbondale Formation - Illinois, USA
3entrya.JPG

4. Sinespinaspis markhami Trilobite - Silurian Cotton Formation - Forbes, NSW, Australia
entry2-1.JPG
entry2-2.JPG
entry2-3.JPG

5. Bellacartwrightia whitelyi Trilobite - Middle Devonian Moscow Formation - New York, USA
7entrya.JPG
7entryb.jpg
7entryc.jpg

6. Tealliocaris woodwardi Multiblock Lower Carboniferous Gullane Formation - East Lothian, Scotland, USA
9entrya.jpg

9entryb.jpg

9entryc.jpg

7. Damselfly - Eocene Green River Formation - Lincoln County, Wyoming, USA
DSCN4879.JPG 
DSCN4881.JPG

8. Astrocystites with associated Paleocrinus or Carabocrinus - Bobcaygeon Formation - Ontario, Canada

Cropped_rotated_overview.jpg

9. Cornuella cf. ornata Cyrtoconic Nautiloid - Carboniferous, Mississippian, Brigantian substage - County Durham, UK

IMG_2637.jpg

10. Eldredgeops iowensis southworthi trilobite - Devonian Widder Formation - Hungry Hollow, Ontario, Canada
IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_6934.jpg

11. Crinoid - Ordovician Bobcaygeon Formation  - Ontario, Canada
23434847_1037210569754521_5708028077251309421_n.jpg

12. Undescribed Jacksonechinus sp. Sea Urchin - Upper Carboniferous - Kasimov Town, Ryazan region, Russia

IMG_20171203_235500_533 copy.jpg

IMG_20171203_233547_240.jpg

IMG_20171203_233057_484.jpg

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

• Cris featured this topic

Hoo doggie!  These were hard to choose as well.  However, I have my favorite in mind.  Good luck! You are all winners no matter who gets chosen.

It pains me to choose.....

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Wow what an incredidible year of finds by forum members.....I was fortunate to have seen a number of these up close . How can you choose just 1

All beautiful specimens, but there's only one here that's being described in an upcoming paper as a new family, genus and species!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, MarleysGh0st said:

All beautiful specimens, but there's only one here that's being described in an upcoming paper as a new family, genus and species!

Is that a hint and a coax for a vote?

These are some awesome finds and one sure can see that each one is a special specimen in itself.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:01 AM, caldigger said:

Hoo doggie!  These were hard to choose as well.  However, I have my favorite in mind.  Good luck! You are all winners no matter who gets chosen.

May I ask what your avatar is??????? 

20 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Is that a hint and a coax for a vote?

I don't know, is campaigning for votes permitted in this election?  Everyone's free to make up their own mind for their own reasons, but I do think the scientific value of a specimen is a relevant factor to consider.

And in case anyone hasn't read the news that came out after this particular FOTM was decided, you can read it here:

36 minutes ago, MarleysGh0st said:

I don't know, is campaigning for votes permitted in this election?  Everyone's free to make up their own mind for their own reasons, but I do think the scientific value of a specimen is a relevant factor to consider.

And in case anyone hasn't read the news that came out after this particular FOTM was decided, you can read it here:

Each of the specimens listed are conveniently linked to the month in which they won, so members can investigate each specimen if they so choose. I don't think canvassing for votes would be a good fit here as the contest is really just for fun, and people will cast their votes for their own reasons, as you said. For some it may be scientific value, for others it may be a personal attachment or fondness for a particular fossil type, or for others it may be purely aesthetics. :) 

And, the great thing about these contests is that, although there can only be one winner of the contest, effectively everyone wins: we the membership in being able to ogle these gorgeous pieces, and the entrants themselves since they get to keep them! (for those who do not win this contest, feel free to just mail your entry to me :P ). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Moozillion said:

May I ask what your avatar is??????? 

A rolled trilobite. I thought it looked like a smirking face so up it went.

That was so difficult. 

I've never voted in this Find of the Year before, and it was really, really next to impossible to choose. 

Well done all. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

A rolled trilobite. I thought it looked like a smirking face so up it went.

YES!!!! HAHAHA!!!!

• Cris unfeatured this topic

Archived