Crewof72

I'm a new member, so thanks for accepting me. My family and I have hunted for fossils, arrow heads, and sharks teeth for many years. It has been a way to pass the time on hunting leases and on the beach. It has always been a hobby, we have never worried about identification of any particular piece...until recently. Being retired, I started going through our collection, just for the heck of it. I found this piece that we have always been curious about.  It was found in a creek bed on a ranch near Sonora, Texas, in northern Schleicher County. It was found 6-7 years ago, we leased the property for deer hunting for four years.

With all that said, I posted pictures of it on a FB group. It has been called a "cone in cone" structure, an unknown type fossil, and a man made fake. The post on FB has been entertaining to say the least.  One person responding recommended this group so here I am. I am in the Houston area so I would be willing to take it somewhere for a better look.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

1029.jpg

1122.jpg

1234.jpg

1852.jpg

1909.jpg

1936.jpg

The pictures aren't that good - it would help if you rotated either the rock or the camera, so that the object took up the whole frame, rather than being a small part of it. 

+ 1 for Rastellum imprint. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The rock looks like calcite to Me, could the "cone" shapes be dog tooth spar that has weathered?

Take a small piece (from an unobtrusive area) and crush it then place a drop of vinegar on it to see if it fizzes.

I think it is a non fossil rock.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I do not believe this is a fossil either, looks mineralogic

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

5 minutes ago, Crewof72 said:

Here are a few more pictures. I'm not sure if they are any better.

Did You do the vinegar test? What was the result?

I suppose, the white little concentrically arranged cristal forms are beekite rings and that might be the reason why the material doesn't react to vinegar. :)

0509.jpg.1bbcd64392ed800d2ecdaaa20ff625cb.jpg.816acc89c58a80a42d7dd6d58a287ef8.jpgimage001.jpg.3048a35a6c81f56ecd1fb74898e6a85a.jpg

I just find Sophie's older post suggesting similarities.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks suspiciously man made.  Reminds me of kiln cones used in pottery.

A potter will line them up like dragon teeth embedded in a piece of clay and place them in the kiln during firing.  They melt when the proper temp is reached.  Fired clay would not fizzle with vinegar.  

I'm not saying that's what your specimen is without examining it.  Just throwing this idea into the mix.

?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=55870&part=2.2?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=55869&part=2.2

Comparing these two images I'm pretty sure that everything is natural.

0509.jpg.1bbcd64392ed800d2ecdaaa20ff625cb.jpg.f0bb4ec23b68c4f675464f04aaf579e2.jpgPA050051.JPG.49d60e0f57990195aaaebf9c2ed0b769.JPG.ac454d45a4bb3ef720aa31b9f543a5e8.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I am in the oyster Rastellum camp as well..thought that when I first saw it...Interesting mineral deposit also. Very cool! 

Regards, Chris 

For some reason I have a feeling it’s a mineral/geological product. However, My feelings are known to be wrong from time to time.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, Crewof72 said:

I did, the vinegar did not fiz.

OK, it is not calcite.

Is it translucent?

Can You scratch it with a knife?

Will it scratch glass?

Can You see if there are different rock types making up the whole stone?

I think @abyssunder has it right with beekite.

I’m glad to see you got it posted here and have gotten some constructive feedback.

There was part of it that I wanted to see a closer up pic of. 

This is a cropped portion of a pic you had on FB. I can’t tell if it is weird weathering or a tiny fossil, but it looked like a small fossil or fragment of one. See the red arrow below.

7C36773C-E5C1-49FA-A6C6-1A947AE42B3F.thumb.jpeg.66fd228c07f3ff8219dd62f9aa48f926.jpeg

Could you take a pic zoomed in on that?

I don’t know what you use to take pics. I use my cell phone. I bought a little clip on wide angle/macro lense that works reasonably well for the price on Amazon for under $15 I think.

This is a link to the device in case you’re interested.

HAUTIK Clip-on Cell Phone Camera Lens Kit, 0.6X Super Wide Angle Lens + 12X Macro Lens for iPhone 8/8 Plus 7/7 Plus 6s / 6 Plus / 5s, Samsung Galaxy S8 and Most Smartphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PS93N2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7yQyAb596SENA

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

OK, it is not calcite.

Is it translucent?

Can You scratch it with a knife?

Will it scratch glass?

Can You see if there are different rock types making up the whole stone?

I think @abyssunder has it right with beekite.

Here you go:

It's not translucent, I can scratch it with a knife, it appears to be one rock...but I'm unqualified to really answer that, and I haven't tried scratching glass.

14 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I’m glad to see you got it posted here and have gotten some constructive feedback.

There was part of it that I wanted to see a closer up pic of. 

This is a cropped portion of a pic you had on FB. I can’t tell if it is weird weathering or a tiny fossil, but it looked like a small fossil or fragment of one. See the red arrow below.

7C36773C-E5C1-49FA-A6C6-1A947AE42B3F.thumb.jpeg.66fd228c07f3ff8219dd62f9aa48f926.jpeg

Could you take a pic zoomed in on that?

I don’t know what you use to take pics. I use my cell phone. I bought a little clip on wide angle/macro lense that works reasonably well for the price on Amazon for under $15 I think.

This is a link to the device in case you’re interested.

HAUTIK Clip-on Cell Phone Camera Lens Kit, 0.6X Super Wide Angle Lens + 12X Macro Lens for iPhone 8/8 Plus 7/7 Plus 6s / 6 Plus / 5s, Samsung Galaxy S8 and Most Smartphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PS93N2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7yQyAb596SENA

Ok, now that I know what you're referring to I'll definitely order the macro attachment and post more pictures. Thanks again KimTexan!

15 minutes ago, Crewof72 said:

Here you go:

It's not translucent, I can scratch it with a knife, it appears to be one rock...but I'm unqualified to really answer that, and I haven't tried scratching glass.

Thanks.

This rules out beekite.

Some rocks have to be looked at in hand to be sure of what they are. I suggest taking it to the geology department of a local university or museum.

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think it's Rastellum. 

Here's one of mine and it doesn't match for me.

Oh, it won't upload images. 

Terrific. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Tidgy's Dad I'm having the same problem, meaning I can't show my Rastellum either. 

And honestly, (sorry for bringing a destructive ID instead of a positive) though I can clearly see how it could be Rastellum imprint (making it an ichnofossil), I just don't think that could be it! Never seen marks so distinct made by the side of a bivalve, unless the actual bivalve just got taken away from the rock. But that means that in that time it wouldn't have had time to grow crystals there, as it wouldn't have had enough time. So I am just thinking on a timing point of view, not really geologic, but I think my argument does make sense. 

This sure is a very intriguing piece!!! :headscratch:

Looking forward to seeing other suggestions!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils