Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone,

I bought this tooth a while back from @Sharks of SC and it’s been nagging at my brain for a while. SOSC came to the conclusion it is a thresher tooth (and I do agree) but it has two cusps. As far as I know, Trigonotodus alteri is the cusped variety of giant thresher, but usually only has one cusp each side. I seem to remember seeing another double cupped thresher for sale a long time ago, but one of the cusps was very reduced. Information on these guys is incredibly scarce, so I was wondering what your (the clever people who inhabit this forum) thoughts were on it. It’s from the chandler bridge fm (oligocene) in SC, although Miocene fossils sometimes find their way in. According to SOSC other thresher teeth were found at the site. I considered the possibility of serratolamna, but none looked quite right and the age makes it very unlikely (though I suppose a thresher based on overall rarity is unlikely). SOSC’s pictures, I’m horrid at photography. About an inch slant height Thanks for any help! These threshers sure are interesting, I think I might have to start a thresher sub-collection...

228F3141-1A6C-431A-ACD8-C3AC60F6AACF.jpeg

C8D2E17A-96D3-4F43-BE92-B367B339C071.jpeg

76B59A35-0DC3-47BA-AAF6-47FB5690D6BF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Even with the secondary cusps, I still vote for T. alteri. I have a similar tooth but the secondary cusp is present only

on the mesial side of the tooth and is reduced in size from your example.

• I found this Informative 1

32 minutes ago, fossilselachian said:

Even with the secondary cusps, I still vote for T. alteri. I have a similar tooth but the secondary cusp is present only

on the mesial side of the tooth and is reduced in size from your example.

Interesting, do you have a picture of this tooth?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason