Juvenile Mammoth tooth- how complete?

RCFL

Hello everyone! I recently dug up this juvinille mammoth tooth and wanted to know if anyone can tell me how complete it is? I know it's missing the roots but I wanted to know how many plates they usually have?  Also- is there a way to tell if it was from a Colombian? 

Thanks in advance for any insights! Ill do a full trip report soon :)

IMG_0076_zpsrucfihir.jpg

IMG_0075_zpsttlw1noz.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Was about to put a post in and saw yours...Cant answer your questions but just wanted to say mighty cool! Someone should come along here soon and give you some answers. 

Thanks for showing!

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent find, congrats! Looks mostly complete to me:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice Mammoth:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Images of the broken(?) end of the tooth (the taller plates) could be dispositive.  It appears to be a partial tooth to me.  Compare with these complete examples:

mammoth_milk_assoc.JPG

mammoth_milkteeth_pair.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you VERY MUCH Harry! That picture is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like I'm missing a bit of the Dentin on the left and right but other than that the plate shapes match. Thanks again everyone!

• 2 years later...

I was going to copy some of the photos in this 2 year old thread,  but decided just to open it up with a tooth I believe to also be a "juvenile" Mammoth tooth based on size.

A couple of weeks back, I was hunting with a friend even digging in the same hole. He found a small broken mammoth tooth of 3-4 plates. I remarked that it was a great and rare find, even broken.  He went back without meSaveMammothImage.png.217535458c0395fb1584c8400a9418a7.png, found another section, and lo and behold, they fit together. I noted that we had both the chewing surface and root area in the fossil and could be easily held in a human hand. I am thinking Columbian Mammoth based on the width of the plates and the larger width of the gaps between plates.

IMG_2415.thumb.JPG.c65c4648617d54208e18f867a3d999da.JPG

In looking at the photo above, I realize there is some chipping on the top edge and the possibility of a couple of more plates. I think it still qualifies as a rare find of a juvenile Mammoth tooth.

Just wanted to share both this thread and this find with TFF members who have recently joined. and also encourage additional comments on smaller mammoth teeth.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"