Lower Peace River Trip

RCFL

I took the time to take a couple pictures while out hunting this time so figured I would post up a report :)

The day started off horrible- an hour late leaving my house (and it's a 2 hour drive to the river), colder than expected and somehow I forgot my lucky shovel. I allllllmost turned around and said the heck with it but stopped in Ace hardware, bought a new shovel and got on with it. 

I decided to launch at a new spot and explore a bit since the day wasn't starting off great and most of my good spots are still under too much water to dig. I had already decided that I probably wouldn't find much but it would be a good break from life to spend the day in nature on this river I love so much. Did I mention it was cold? Well, it was cold enough I didn't see a single person the entire day and probably counted 50+ dead Tilapia and Snook as they can't take water temps under 52 for long. I paddled for quite a while until I hit a creek that had fairly high walls and decided to paddle up it to see if there was gravel. It was mostly sand but I kept probing and a ways up there was an opening in the trees and all of the sudden I heard sweet crunchy goodness a few feet down. Gravel in one of the only sunny spots? I thought Maybe my luck was changing...

I also forgot my small screen which would have been great in this creek so only had my large screen with me but I made the best of it and started moving sand. 30 min in, I start to see nice big gravel and then the treasures started coming up. One of my best if not The best day I've had for mammal fossils so far in my hunting career. 

The highlight came about an hour into digging- a baby mammoth tooth! I'm not sure how complete it is but I was blown away when it came up. I immediately stopped and took a picture:

IMG_0071_zps6v06cbxj.jpg

IMG_0070_zps5say3ik6.jpg

IMG_0076_zpsrucfihir.jpg

IMG_0075_zpsttlw1noz.jpg

This was my best screen of the day- (granted there were many with nothing) Glyptodont, Sloth and Megaladon 

IMG_0079_zpsybllprr7.jpg

A nice golden Meg

IMG_0081_zpsunynjzzl.jpg

IMG_0084_zpseoehb2ve.jpg

IMG_0085_zpsh7cm6rif.jpg

Associated Horse teeth

IMG_0102_zpsgbxmwpfy.jpg

The best of the day- 

IMG_0105_zpsuaxp1i8m.jpg

Mastadon tusk end 

IMG_0109_zps3q6ivw9j.jpg

The best Megs of the day

IMG_0123_zpsluwdm3oq.jpg

I filled up a gallon bag with other broken megs, unique turtle shell pieces, verts and other cool stuff. It seems the hurricane and record high levels did some fossil replenishment this year so I hope to report back with more trips soon! :) 

Dig deep and fossil on!

• I found this Informative 2

For a day that started on the wrong track, you seemed to get it back on and turned it into a great day. Thanks for the virtual trip.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

:o:wub::envy::fistbump:

translation: WOW! Awesome finds, I gotta get down there to hunt someday, Nice job!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks everyone! It was a great day for sure. Fruitbat- yes that is a sloth too though only partial (but I'm not complaining) 

I had heard that hunting should be really good on our rivers, because of the flooding last fall. It looks like it may take off. Nice to sometimes have the river to yourself. Great finds. It makes you want to "not stop." If only we all had more time.  I am going out next Saturday to a little tributary where I have had some success in the past. Hope I do as well as you. Congrats. 

40 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

I had heard that hunting should be really good on our rivers, because of the flooding last fall. It looks like it may take off. Nice to sometimes have the river to yourself. Great finds. It makes you want to "not stop." If only we all had more time.  

That's what waterproof lights are for,

to keep the hunt going as long as you like.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Nice report!

That's what I like to read--a trip that almost wasn't but persistence shown to pay off (in spades)! I wear-out shovels quite regularly on the Peace so your investment in a new shovel was worth the cost (you'll end up relying on this backup sooner or later). In fact, this may now be your NEW LUCKY SHOVEL. I know with a day like you had that you'd like to repeat that over and over again. Glad to see the river is giving up its bounty and fingers crossed that all the devastation from Hurricane Irma may leave a silver lining of some awesome fossils to be found this season.

Cheers.

-Ken

Whoa, great hunt! Especially that mammoth is incredible!!! That kinda fossil would make anyone's day for sure :envy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Awesome haul :fistbump:I’m sure you earned it!  Days like that are what make it all worth it

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Now that's a haul! We here on the Chesapeake and Potomac are desperate for a meg, meanwhile you're filling a bag with them! Looks like you had a super productive day of hunting. I think it's really cool to find both land and marine fossils in the same spot. That baby mammoth chomper is an awesome find. Congrats on a successful hunt!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~