Plantguy

Was going thru another bag of old stuff and found this tooth and was thinking it had different features than the last sawfish tooth I found, maybe its something else. Here's two sets of views of the newer find.  It appears to have very tiny serrations and somewhat stockier and is not oval in cross section but appears more tear drop shaped. Is it a sawfish and is it the same as the earlier one I found? Are either of them Pristis or Anoxypristis

5a62bc3e5a743_PossibleSawfishtooth2.thumb.jpg.169a52e76e372faaad8262dfe7791f2d.jpg

5a62bc3fa3352_PossibleSawfishtooth.thumb.jpg.26d1dafd1d13455e4146779d5dd9193a.jpg

Here's a set of 3 views of the one I had found earlier. 

5a62bcb413de1_Sawfishtooth.thumb.jpg.39a5422443cef10262d365afb2790030.jpg

Sorry for the varying scales and orientations and angles...I need a permanent setup to make photos more standard and a process.....

Regards, Chris . 

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a barracuda tooth

Thanks Troodon for the looks. That makes sense and I had thrown that idea out. Dang it! LOL.  I have a barracuda tooth somewhere and I'll have to go look at it closer. I dont think I can see the cross section due to it still being in matrix. I know it still has the enamel but I dont remember striations nor really inspecting it very closely.  Uggh, Sounds like I should have! Back to the garage! Thank you sir!

Regards, Chris 

45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I agree.

Great-thanks. So can I call it Sphyraena sp.? Would you know if there is any single reference that describes barracuda teeth from the Miocene/Pliocene East coast? I saw that there are something like 20 present day species. 

Regards, Chris  

6 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Would you know if there is any single reference that describes barracuda teeth from the Miocene/Pliocene East coast?

When I find them in the cliffs (they are normally small when I find them, don’t know if that’s me or the cliffs) I call the Sphyraena sp.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

When I find them in the cliffs (they are normally small when I find them, don’t know if that’s me or the cliffs) I call the Sphyraena so.

You just need to walk farther up the beach.

Isn't that where the big ones always are ? :)

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Sometimes, depends where you are. I’ve got waders now, so I can walk the whole bay if I want too!:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Great-thanks. So can I call it Sphyraena sp.? Would you know if there is any single reference that describes barracuda teeth from the Miocene/Pliocene East coast? I saw that there are something like 20 present day species. 

Regards, Chris  

I would call it Sphyraena sp., The Smithsonian publication “Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine volume 3” identifies the Miocene and Pliocene teeth as Sphyraena cf. S. barracuda.

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’ve got waders now, so I can walk the whole bay if I want too!:P

Better bring a lunch, and something to calm you down after the walk across the bridge.

I'm sure the best hunting is just out of site around the corner. :)

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

sure the best hunting is just out of site around the corner. :)

I’ve been telling myself that for the last six miles! Wait, another corner dead ahead! *runs into the distance...*:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

Chris, Your NEW tooth is Barracuda.. I believe that your OLD tooth is Pristis, make that Anoxypristis .

See this thread. The multiple teeth in the 1st photo are Anoxypristis , I believe.  but always open to new evidence.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Chris, Your NEW tooth is Barracuda.. I believe that your OLD tooth is Pristis, make that Anoxypristis .

See this thread. The multiple teeth in the 1st photo are Anoxypristis , I believe.  but always open to new evidence.

Thanks Jack! I did see your thread after Troodon pointed me in the correct direction. You can see how poor my memory is with retaining info anymore...I actually had two posts in that thread. Can I say it was 3 years ago...OH MY! LOL. Thanks again. 

Regards, Chris 

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I would call it Sphyraena sp., The Smithsonian publication “Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine volume 3” identifies the Miocene and Pliocene teeth as Sphyraena cf. S. barracuda.

Thanks! Got it. Paul had this thread which lists 4 of those volumes. 

Regards, Chris 

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

When I find them in the cliffs (they are normally small when I find them, don’t know if that’s me or the cliffs) I call the Sphyraena sp.

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Sometimes, depends where you are. I’ve got waders now, so I can walk the whole bay if I want too!:P

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Better bring a lunch, and something to calm you down after the walk across the bridge.

I'm sure the best hunting is just out of site around the corner. :)

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’ve been telling myself that for the last six miles! Wait, another corner dead ahead! *runs into the distance...*:D

OK, guys appreciate the insight and looks. I cant even find the slightly larger one in my garage that I know is there right now so leaving the house at the moment is entirely out of the question. Give me a couple more days.:P

Regards, Chris

2 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Give me a couple more days.

Okay but I expect you to have walked the entirety of the peace river by Tuesday:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 1/20/2018 at 7:37 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Okay but I expect you to have walked the entirety of the peace river by Tuesday:P

Its almost end of day Monday and I havent left for the Peace yet but I did find the other tooth:yay-smiley-1:

Heres a shot of the one I was questioning on the left and the one Jeff ID'd for me years ago. They are spitting images of one another, cone shaped, very fine serrations and ridges lenghtwise....

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.36f5b41783ae40b44e47b94010d3a493.jpg

Thanks all for the help. 

Regards, Chris