Conasauga Formation Trilobite ID

Nimravis

Today I was picking through some of the matrix that I have from the Conasagua Formation from Murray County, Georgia and came across a trilobite that surprised me by its size and nice detail. Unfortunately, this trilobite is not complete, and from my limited knowledge of trilobites, it does not look like the Aphelaspis brachyphasis trilobites that i find from that location. Lastly, if it is an Aphelaspis, it must be one on steroids. Any help would be appreciated.  @Kane , @sixgill pete , @Fossildude19 , @WhodamanHD , @FossilDAWG

An Aphelaspis - on the larger size of what I find.

5a63dc56cd98e_IMG_0367(2).thumb.jpg.01f352d9da0927d3c6b9fc278370d2c1.jpg

Unknown:

5a63dc57777f1_IMG_0368(2).thumb.jpg.9dada88b5d69dc4f607a294e39150136.jpg5a63dc58206a9_IMG_0369(2).thumb.jpg.6dfdc97bee825158428e9c69a3ca0533.jpg

Im not great with trilobites, but first guess was olenellid Because of the “spikes” (pardon my unscientific lingo). I do have a species list though (from the internet) and I’m gonna tag @piranha

84BFDBCC-9429-4D22-9D9E-E0A3D469E194.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Im not great with trilobites, but first guess was olenellid Because of the “spikes” (pardon my unscientific lingo). I do have a species list though (from the internet) and I’m gonna tag @piranha

84BFDBCC-9429-4D22-9D9E-E0A3D469E194.jpeg

Thanks for the help and tag, I forgot about @piranha

@WhodamanHD , I have seen this listing before from that website. It also states the the mudstone frome Locality #1, which is where these come from report very "abundant specimens" of Aphelaspis brachyphasis, which is very true. It also mentions Agnostus inexpectans, Aspidagnostus rugosus and Glyptagnostus reticulatus.

9 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks for the help and tag, I forgot about @piranha

Good rule of thumb, never tag @WhodamanHD before you tag him (don’t want to overload his notifications box).:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

According to the paper by Schwimmer (I do not know how to link it) shows an Eugonocare (Olenaspella) separtum from Locality #2 (Gordon County, Georgia. This area is South of Murray County and they do not list this species as being found at the locality that it was found, but I am not positive if that is true.

LINK

LINK2

2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

also mentions Agnostus inexpectans, Aspidagnostus r

Yeah, didn’t see that. This of course wouldn’t be what you have as you know. That’s about as far as I can go, I’ve found a grand total of one complete trilobite (many partials) so my experience is low with the bugs. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I do not know how to link it)

Copy the link, press the chain at the top of the reply box and paste it into the URL box;)

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, didn’t see that. This of course wouldn’t be what you have as you know. That’s about as far as I can go, I’ve found a grand total of one complete trilobite (many partials) so my experience is low with the bugs. 

We are in the same boat then with Bug ID's- they are fun to collect.

1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

We are in the same boat then with Bug ID's- they are fun to collect.

Yeah, nothing quite like splitting shale as you watch the sun go down:D

Most of what I found are E. rana from The lost river quarry, so my knowledge is limited to them.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

I thought that I saw it up above a bit and I say your name. Thanks for posting it again and sorry for any confusion.

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I thought that I saw it up above a bit and I say your name. Thanks for posting it again and sorry for any confusion.

Ralph,

Any confusion was mine. :) 

I posted one paper by Schwimmer,  (Exceptional Preservation) and then realized there were two other pertinent ones,  (Aphelaspis Zone, and  Taxonomy and biostratigraphic significance of some Middle Cambrian trilobites from the Conasauga Formation in western Georgia, Schwimmer, 2016)  but the last one was behind a paywall.

So I posted both of the others in your post. ;) 

EDIT - And... of course, Fruitbat's PDF library comes into play again! Here is the 2016 paper.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 1/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Nimravis said:

According to the paper by Schwimmer (I do not know how to link it) shows an Eugonocare (Olenaspella) separtum from Locality #2 (Gordon County, Georgia. This area is South of Murray County and they do not list this species as being found at the locality that it was found, but I am not positive if that is true.

LINK

LINK2

As an FYI- tonight I sent an e-mail to Dr. David Schwimmer (see above) and he agrees that the trilobite is an Eugonocare (Olenaspella) separtum.

@Fossildude19 - FYI.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Really nice find, Ralph, that's a beauty! :)

Thanks Adam, it is not a great specimen, but since it is the only one that I have found from that matrix, it is special to me.

• 8 months later...

So happy to see this.  I was at location no.1, just yesterday with my son and a couple of his friends.  A couple of very cold hours and we hauled out about (roughly) 80 whole specimens and associated mud filled slabs with bugs and other unexamined stuff.  Always fun to get out and whoop and holler with the newbies.  Then stopped by Summerville on the way back to Atlanta for a car full of ribbon agate and beet red jaspers.  That warmed us up nicely.  Cheers.                        

Archived