Potomac River 1/20/18

RCW3D

After too many days of cold weather, we were determined to head out to the river during some spring time weather...we weren't prepared for what we found! Snow and ice was stacked up all over the place, for the most part I thought the trip was a bust but we decided to go for a hike anyway. After about a 1/4 mile, we saw some open water along the shore and headed for it...it wasn't much but we had about 600 yards of open beach and mostly open water...there was still some skim ice and slush but we at least could say that we were going to get to hunt a little. We weren't there 10 minutes until I heard a boat running around on the river, I thought to myself, "who is crazy enough to be out on the river with this much ice?" As I watched the boat, it turned and came towards me...yep, I knew who was as crazy as me to be out, it was @SailingAlongToo with some other legends out and about. Always a treat to run into him on the water and chatting a little bit, he was off acting as an ice breaker! LOL!

After he left we got back to searching and lo and behold, we started to have some success. We were only wearing boots so I took the water since my boots are taller than my wife's, as I looked down I saw a beautiful site, a Mako! I have many that are much nicer than this one but this was my largest by far. A little while later I heard a squeal of delight from my wife, I looked back to see her holding up a small Meg. All-in all, it wasn't a huge haul today but it was nice to be out on the river again, I'm looing forward to when the ice melts away though I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Working our way through the snow and ice.

26805189_10211120025947508_3149325344119247163_n.thumb.jpg.710ce03bbad5cc317215c441971ef3ca.jpg

Something to search.

26991941_10211119973386194_6292509967155946690_n.thumb.jpg.ac8dce0afc5e27474866fbfbdc3fa75d.jpg

My wife scores!

26730674_10211120396236765_7819253772139256661_n.thumb.jpg.a41152ddcbdb60cfe2bfa20f74b38c30.jpg

Total haul

19642810_10212979011124809_175579817268601000_n.jpg.c4c6c03bdeb11ca900febd52db1252fe.jpg

Meg and Mako

2.jpg.25c3379c47b7c878e50c48b8a67e33b8.jpg

Rob :D

Nice finds! You are crazy! Okay I must admit I was thinking about going out on the Potomac [douglas point] tomorrow, though I may visit somewhere out west instead, maybe lost river.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks to be a great day in my books.

Nice haul. Now that gives "ice fishing" a whole new definition.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Great finds under those circumstances! It's just nice to get out and putter around anyway, isn't it? And it's even better to make some finds when you're not expecting much.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I can neither confirm or deny anything @RCW3D has said here. B) 

We spent 5 hours or so about 500 meters down river of Rob and Mrs.RCW3D and we did chat with them for a few minutes as we were cruising by, breaking up the ice so the eagles could fish. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) We are very glad to hear Mrs.RCW3D found the meg.  :fistbump:  It is always nice to see Rob and his Mrs. out and about during the hunt. Rob, hope you don't mind me tagging onto your post.

Mrs.SA2 and I had the pleasure of spending some chilly time on the river with @MarcoSr and his youngest son Mel on Saturday. Always enjoy getting out and doing some hunting with them.

The boat did plow ice for about 4 of the 5 hours we were out on Saturday and I can say, it plowed quite well. The eagles were able to fish again after we went back and forth. So much for the meteorologist saying mid-upper 50s and sunny. Sun doesn't matter when its behind the trees all day and 3 foot of ice pack on the beach will knock the temp down by 10-15 degrees F, easily.

Here is Mrs.SA2 standing on the icy surf, beside the beach ice. Yes, the top of the beach ice is at her waist. Photo on right is what the ramp looked like when we got back. Obviously, it was cold but on the bright side, the water is much lower than it had been.

5a65425a12c36_Theresaonice.thumb.jpg.0ca6fe1212f0c81a3f18053d6c6ebf51.jpg Ramp.jpg.7a1d3b8c9d713e32d45d80da6a4dec34.jpg

MrsSA2 took great pleasure in pointing out she found the biggest tooth of the day AND our first meg of the new  year. I managed to find a crocodile tooth and a partial scute plus a few smaller teeth. Here are the better finds of the day and close ups of her cute little posterior meg, nice hastalis and my croc tooth. Just like last weekend, you can see my "frag-o-lodon" on the left side. All I've gotten are pieces parts so far.

20180121_201715_resized.jpg.9ce41eb7e08dc7d5a8f6dd5192f986f3.jpg 20180121_201621_resized.jpg.8f5ec682eee2d4f751a769f3ed5a3707.jpg

20180121_201551_resized.thumb.jpg.82493079ced3c4a5c0d268f23fc929e2.jpg

It was a good day though Mrs.SA2 admitted her feet got cold (numb was the word she used.) I've already gone online and ordered something to fix that issue.

Cheers,

SA2 and Mrs.SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Awesome! I got my wife new boots and alpaca socks for Christmas for playing in the river. I got some looks from her on Christmas day but she was very appreciative of them when we were out wading on Saturday...it was the first winter trip that she didn't complain about her feet being cold! I love the croc tooth and the colors on the hastalis!

@RCW3D

Tell the Mrs. her meg goes very nicely with the red nail polish! :D

Don't know much biology

haha!!! She loved that picture too!!!

As we were driving there she said, "What the heck was I thinking doing my nails the night before we are going to the river?"

18 minutes ago, RCW3D said:

Awesome! I got my wife new boots and alpaca socks for Christmas for playing in the river. 

Alpacas wear socks?!  I know camels wear tennis shoes, but the sock thing I didn't know. Ya learn something everyday.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

8 hours ago, RCW3D said:

As we were driving there she said, "What the heck was I thinking doing my nails the night before we are going to the river?"

She was getting ready to be a "hand model." :hearty-laugh:  I'm just glad she blurred out the guy in the background of the photo. :rofl:

Don't know much biology

22 hours ago, caldigger said:

Alpacas wear socks?!  I know camels wear tennis shoes, but the sock thing I didn't know. Ya learn something everyday.

I'll tell you what, a lot of people swear by merino wool socks for warmth and I'll admit they are good, but nothing beats alpaca wool for warmth and comfort. I'm a bowhunter and life in a treestand can become quite miserable if your feet get cold, those socks are a lifesaver!

14 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

She was getting ready to be a "hand model." :hearty-laugh:  I'm just glad she blurred out the guy in the background of the photo. :rofl:

Yeah, that guy looks like a troll! :D

22 hours ago, RCW3D said:

She just wanted to test out the durability of the polish in cold conditions.  Or maybe it was her "lucky" color. After all, she found the Megs.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived