Sign in to follow this  
PetrosTrilobite

Calymene from Morocco

PetrosTrilobite

These trilobite are real? Has repair or restoration?

trilo.PNG

Foozil

Need better pics to be 100% sure, but trilobites from this site are so common they aren't worth being faked. Could be restored, but again, people wouldn't usually bother. Nice specimens though.

caldigger

One on the left looks repaired. Many of these are and poorly I may add.

But these are very common so fakes wouldn't be worth the effort.

PetrosTrilobite

I bought the fossils 1 year ago, the small for 10 euro and big for 20.

Douvilleiceras
12 hours ago, PetrosTrilobite said:

Calymene from Morocco

There are no valid species of Calymene from Morocco. Commercially-available calymenid trilobites from the Upper Ordovician of the Ktaoua Group are normally either Flexicalymene tazarinensis or Flexicalymene ouzregui, although other trilobites of the Suborder Calymenina can be found in the area.

12 hours ago, Foozil said:

Could be restored, but again, people wouldn't usually bother.

Actually, these are common targets for composition. They are often found in pieces, which are then cobbled together, attaching cephalons and trunks in order to make a complete trilobite.

Foozil
3 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Actually, these are common targets for composition. They are often found in pieces, which are then cobbled together, attaching cephalons and trunks together in order to make a complete trilobite.

I wouldn't really call composites fakes.

JohnBrewer

They’re regularly available for £3-£4 here in the uk. I can’t believe anyone would contemplate even making a composite let alone faking one. 

Douvilleiceras
On 1/21/2018 at 10:14 AM, JohnBrewer said:

They’re regularly available for £3-£4 here in the uk. I can’t believe anyone would contemplate even making a composite let alone faking one. 

It's hard to imagine anyone taking the time to composite a £4 trilobite at the UK hourly wage of an 18-year-old adult (£5.60/hour), but these workers are not being paid a wage anywhere close to that. The Moroccan monthly minimum wage is less than $300 USD, and the informal sector is booming, accounting for "40% of non-agricultural private-sector jobs." Poor, and living on land with plenty of trilobite partials, it's completely understandable that locals would create crude composites for extra income. 

JohnBrewer
7 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

It's hard to imagine anyone taking the time to composite a £4 trilobite at the UK hourly wage of an 18-year-old adult (£5.60/hour), but these workers are not being paid a wage anywhere close to that. The Moroccan monthly minimum wage is less than $300 USD, and the informal sector is booming, accounting for "40% of non-agricultural private-sector jobs." Desperately poor, and living on land with plenty of trilobite partials, it's completely understandable that locals would create crude composites for extra income. 

I totally get what you’re saying but compositing, say, bone parts, spino teeth &c are more lucrative. These trilos are shoddy to say the least and two a penny. They’re great for education and kids, I’m no knocking these types. These were my into to trilos not that long ago. I see baskets of them and they don’t really sell as well as composite teeth (for not much more) and the composite jaws. I’ve not seen a composite flexi trilo of this type (not to say they don’t exist) let alone a fake. :) 

JohnBrewer

I get the minimum wage can be less than $300 but how much is food/accommodation &c. @Tidgy's Dad May be able to enlighten us being ex British living in Morocco. 

caldigger

Im packing my bags as we speak!

Tidgy's Dad
1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Im packing my bags as we speak!

As soon as we see a tourist, the price goes up by a factor of 10.

You'll have to come in disguise. :)

caldigger

I already have a face like a camel, so I should slip right in unnoticed.