What kind of fossil shell?

Darko

Hey guys!

I found this in the stream In the forest and i'm definitely sure that is from somekind of sea shell.I didn't find anything similar like this in the forest so your help will be nice! I just wanna know what kind of sea shell species is this.Here are the photos bellow:

IMG-20180121-WA0041.jpg

Your photo did not upload, but we're having some issues with that at the moment.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

Your photo did not upload, but we're having some issues with that at the moment.

I see,i see

I think it may be schist or some other type of metamorphic rock

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Can't help with I'D but by the look of the background in your pictures, it looks like your stream is not very warm.

8 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Can't help with I'D but by the look of the background in your pictures, it looks like your stream is not very warm.

It isn't warm ofc

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

My rough guess would be an oyster.

I had the same initial thought. It looks like oyster from the top. But looking at the base being all twisted like that, I can't see how it would close up the shell.

There is a small overlap in that some of the layering in an oysters shell is not actually produced directly by mineralizing tissue, but self organizes in a gap where the mantle was detached.

They are essentially part rock to begin with. :)

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

There is a small overlap in that some of the layering in an oysters shell is not actually produced directly by mineralizing tissue, but self organizes in a gap where the mantle was detached.

They are essentially part rock to begin with. :)

So it is a shell actually?

25 minutes ago, Darko said:

So it is a shell actually?

I am inclined to think so, but it is hard to be certain from what is visible, In part because of their nature.

I looks like a big oyster, similar to Crassostrea.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I would be amazed if that weren't some kind of oyster shell.

Hahaha lol

That is definitely a fossil oyster ! A good find :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

I also found some big fossil oysters last week. If you are interested I can send you some pictures ...

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

+1 for oyster, although I couldn't even guess the genus. "Stream in the forest" doesn't tell us much about site or stratigraphy. Can you try and be more specific?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

As a useful material to humans it could have been transported some distance. It just has the look of a discarded nub from a piece of work stock to me.

It is an oyster and it appears to have both valves present from what I can tell. Pictures 2 & 3 are shots showing the bottom valve.

I agree with abyssunder, oyster, possibly Crassostrea sp.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I guess my eyes are just not that great, I don’t see the oyster but I will conform to the overall consensus.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The thick, layered, stone-like shell reminds me of a Gryphaea or similar genus, but the shape doesn't seem quite right.  As per a quick google search, Crassostrea doesn't look quite right either, but I know nothing about the kind of variety found in that genus.

Archived