What kind of fossil shell?

Darko

We still don´t have excluded the possibility that this is a strange shaped metamorphic rock. Can you put a small fragment in vinegar, does it bubble?

Btw, it sure looks like an oyster.
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

On 21/01/2018 at 11:23 PM, Ludwigia said:

+1 for oyster, although I couldn't even guess the genus. "Stream in the forest" doesn't tell us much about site or stratigraphy. Can you try and be more specific?

Nope. Cause i don't know the place too. Sorry.

17 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

We still don´t have excluded the possibility that this is a strange shaped metamorphic rock. Can you put a small fragment in vinegar, does it bubble?

Franz Bernhard

Ostrea gingensis

On 21/01/2018 at 10:19 PM, belemniten said:

That is definitely a fossil oyster ! A good find :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

I also found some big fossil oysters last week. If you are interested I can send you some pictures ...

Thanks @belemniten ...Sure! 

17 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

It"s an Oyster i checked it out...Ostrea gingensis

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You don't even know where you found it?!?!?!

Blindfolded fossil collecting is what all the cool kids are doing these days, marginally safer than the Tide pod challenge. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Blindfolded fossil collecting is what all the cool kids are doing these days, marginally safer than the Tide pod challenge. :P 

Hahaha...Look,I just found that and I was not trying to find fossil that day.I was just lucky,that's all. :)

Hi Darko, 

So you sent me pictures of this one earlier via Instagram, but I was on my phone then and couldn't see them too well. Now that I am on my computer I can see them better. 

I agree with everyone else that this looks like an oyster. But without knowing the correct geology of the area it is simply futile to just blurt out random species/genera names. Especially with this oyster, as it is (also big and gorgeous, that yes!) badly preserved; also, oysters, even within one genus or one species, can have VERY different shapes (wonky ones too; that's why I love oysters :ighappy: ). 

Here is a geological map of Serbia; I circled in red the approximate area where Paracin would be (Darko, if you think that I didn't place my circle very well, please do correct me). So we can see that the sediments are mostly Tertiary or Mesozoic, which are good signs for fossil oysters. I wish that the map would be more detailed and show the different ages like Jurassic/Paleocene/Miocene/Pliocene etc...

Figure-3-Geological-map-of-Serbia-with-the-location-of-the-12-selected-areas-yellow.thumb.jpg.353a41260d378015e430a3b54bd7fdb7.jpg

Well I did some extra research, and I found out that in Serbia in general, fossil-oyster-wise you have the Jurassic Gervillella, and some Cretaceous Exogyra. Maybe something useful in these two? Then again many locations in Serbia are undocumented, so you may have just stumbled upon a new location. 

As you can see it really is a messy job to do this! If I were you I would just keep it as Ostreida indet. (yes, that's the order, not even a family or superfamily. Very vague, I know... but that way we are sure not to exclude any possibilities) Trying to put a species name on it now is really just guesswork and it won't bring us anywhere I'm afraid. 

Maybe try to go to the museum in Paracin and see if they know anything about fossil (oysters) in-and-around Paracin? They will likely have access to more info than any of us.

Still a great find, I sure am :envy: !

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

(PS: @Fossildude19 hey Tim, apparently this just worked! I managed to upload the map above. I edited it and made it 99.5KB big. I think the main reason why this worked is because I saved the picture from online, and didn't take it with my phone. That might be a good clue to our mystery!)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

@Max-fossils if you have problems uploading pics, I often have to email the pics to myself so I can downsize them to be able to send. I know other members who do the same.

@KimTexan Thanks a lot Kim for your advice! But I already know that technique and use it often. But the problem seems to be bigger than that: 

Max Derème

On 1/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, Darko said:

Hey guys!

I found this in the stream In the forest and i'm definitely sure that is from somekind of sea shell.I didn't find anything similar like this in the forest so your help will be nice! I just wanna know what kind of sea shell species is this.Here are the photos bellow:

Darko, 

Please understand, "a stream in a forest" does not help us figure out age of the area. :unsure:  Also, many people travel to different countries or regions to collect, so it isn't always obvious where you are collecting from your stated location.  :shrug:

Please, when asking for an ID, ... always include the nearest city or region found on a map, to where you found your fossil,  when you post your finds.

Also, ... always include the size of the item. 

This is rather important to the Identification process, and something we ask of all members who come here looking for help with their fossils. ;) 

Thanks for your future cooperation.  :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim and Max.
If it was a surface find, it could be also transported material, washed out by rain, torrents, rivers and so on.
It could be very well Crassostrea gryphoides (old names: Ostracides gryphoides, Ostrea crassisima, Ostrea gingensis, Ostrea gryphoides, Gryphaea (Crassostrea) gingensis, etc. * ), typical of the Tethys provence, considering the visual evidence and the possibilities of your region.

" Crassostrea gryphoides shows a very broad range of morphologies, ranging from elongate shells to strongly curved and sigmoidal shapes (Fig. 3). "

5a67b2cd717b2_Figure3.thumb.jpg.94c30a05c02c17c90993f49b2d8a2a37.jpg

excerpt from M. Harzhauser et al. 2015. Age structure, carbonate production and shell loss rate in an Early Miocene reef of the giant oyster Crassostrea gryphoides. Biogeosciences Discussions. 12:15867–15900

*see I. Hosgor, 2008

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

34 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Darko, 

Please understand, "a stream in a forest" does not help us figure out age of the area. :unsure:  Also, many people travel to different countries or regions to collect, so it isn't always obvious where you are collecting from your stated location.  :shrug:

Please, when asking for an ID, ... always include the nearest city or region found on a map, to where you found your fossil,  when you post your finds.

Also, ... always include the size of the item. 

This is rather important to the Identification process, and something we ask of all members who come here looking for help with their fossils. ;) 

Thanks for your future cooperation.  :) 

I can only say Paracin as a location :(

No problem,I understand and thanks for the advice. :)

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi Darko, 

So you sent me pictures of this one earlier via Instagram, but I was on my phone then and couldn't see them too well. Now that I am on my computer I can see them better. 

I agree with everyone else that this looks like an oyster. But without knowing the correct geology of the area it is simply futile to just blurt out random species/genera names. Especially with this oyster, as it is (also big and gorgeous, that yes!) badly preserved; also, oysters, even within one genus or one species, can have VERY different shapes (wonky ones too; that's why I love oysters :ighappy: ). 

Here is a geological map of Serbia; I circled in red the approximate area where Paracin would be (Darko, if you think that I didn't place my circle very well, please do correct me). So we can see that the sediments are mostly Tertiary or Mesozoic, which are good signs for fossil oysters. I wish that the map would be more detailed and show the different ages like Jurassic/Paleocene/Miocene/Pliocene etc...

Figure-3-Geological-map-of-Serbia-with-the-location-of-the-12-selected-areas-yellow.thumb.jpg.353a41260d378015e430a3b54bd7fdb7.jpg

Well I did some extra research, and I found out that in Serbia in general, fossil-oyster-wise you have the Jurassic Gervillella, and some Cretaceous Exogyra. Maybe something useful in these two? Then again many locations in Serbia are undocumented, so you may have just stumbled upon a new location. 

As you can see it really is a messy job to do this! If I were you I would just keep it as Ostreida indet. (yes, that's the order, not even a family or superfamily. Very vague, I know... but that way we are sure not to exclude any possibilities) Trying to put a species name on it now is really just guesswork and it won't bring us anywhere I'm afraid. 

Maybe try to go to the museum in Paracin and see if they know anything about fossil (oysters) in-and-around Paracin? They will likely have access to more info than any of us.

Still a great find, I sure am :envy: !

Max

Thanks Max, I answered you for this on Instagram. ;)

9 hours ago, Darko said:

Thanks Max, I answered you for this on Instagram. ;)

You did, but I think that everyone here on TFF would love to see that answer too!

Max Derème

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

You did, but I think that everyone here on TFF would love to see that answer too!

For everybody to see "Look,it is not that I put some random name for that Oyster I mean genus or species name.I asked Serbian Paleontologist about that shell which I've found and he told me that's definitely a Ostrea gingensis..Cause they found that kind of shell too but In different area in Serbia.It belongs to Late Miocene period  and it's younger than Miocene Popovac lake.I'm maybe on a new track I mean new area for fossils so it's really something new for me.I didn't know how to explain better cause I don't know the name  of the Forest but i'll try to find it on Google maps". ..That's what i wrote to Max on  Instagram...Sorry guys :D

Do you think it is possible that it may have been deposited there from elsewhere, possibly ferried along by the stream or possibly if that forest was submerged by a river in the past? That could also explain the occurrence of this oyster fossil in that specific area. Just a thought! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer