Air scribe question

DanJeavs

I’m looking at getting my first Air scribe. There’s the obvious choice of Kens, although they are rather expensive, the second choice is the Chicago cp9361. It’s cheaper from a local tool supplier but wanting know if anybody uses it and can vouch for it, just don’t want to go spending without the information. Any help would be seriously appreciated. 

Thanks, Dan. 

There are lots of discussions on this forum about the cp9361.  When you are on the home page search on that term and you will see them.  Then you can decide whether it is right for you.  It depends on what you plan to do.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I started with an Aro. It isn’t as strong as the CP9361 but it is better for closer work. If I had to pick a starter scribe, it would be either a Paleoaro or ME9100 from Paleo Tools. Well worth the investment.

I would highly recommend the hand made German tools sold by Charlie McGovern at The Stone Company. Expensive, yes, worth it, definitely. I have always had substantial stalling issues with paleotools scribes. No experience with Ken’s tools. Good luck!

There are innumerable "Stone company"s to be found in the internet. It took a while before I stumbled onto the right one. Here's the link , which I'm giving here, since I can warmly recommend the HW tools which are offered there. I've been using these types for years and am more than satisfied with their long lasting performance. I do all my work with the HW-60 and HW-70, since I don't do any extremely fine precision work.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for all the advice, it’s a massive help. The cp is mainly for the bulk, which from what iv read is ideal for it. The aro will unfortunately have to wait until next month, but a pin vice should suffice for the more intricate stuff if I’m presuming correctly?

25 minutes ago, DanJeavs said:

Thanks for all the advice, it’s a massive help. The cp is mainly for the bulk, which from what iv read is ideal for it. The aro will unfortunately have to wait until next month, but a pin vice should suffice for the more intricate stuff if I’m presuming correctly?

A pin vice is essential in my opinion and are dirt cheap. Send me a message and I’ll show you what and where to get in the uk 

Archived