Real oreodont skull?

Kutembea

I found this fossil "oreodont skull" online, and can´t really decide if it is real or not... It looks a little bit plastic/glossy, but can´t that be some kind of treatment too?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Looks good and have not seen them faked but lots of good resto on them.   Post a picture of the Incisor teeth both sides, just good to have a close look.

The shiny look it has is due to the consolidant that is on it. Bones from these deposits tend to be quite brittle and fragile. So a consolidant is applied to help hold everything together.

The skull looks real and prepped nicely.

This piece has every appearance of an authentic, well prepped Oreodont skull. The incisors look a little "flat," as opposed to the roundness I am accustomed to. Perhaps that is just the appearance in the image. If I were in the market for such a fossil my next question would be; "How does the asking price stack up?"

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I have doubts about the canines.  They seem too 'spikey' as opposed to short and stout.  If the canines needed repair or replacement, it's likely the incisors needed work as well.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

This looks like a good oreo skull.  I think the teeth are real, but yeah try UV light.  They should glow orange.  And yes, the shine is from whatever they put on it.  I am not a fan. 

11 hours ago, caterpillar said:

If you want to know if the teeth are real, put UV light on them

Unfortunately, he would have to purchase it first before this test can be achieved.

Archived