Finally Interested

sharko69

Had a great day with my son yesterday. Started the morning at Lake Ray Roberts for a nature hike with a group looking for animal signs with the local ranger. It was a beautiful morning and finally 70 degrees. Saw tons of great animal signs and of course the kids loved looking for skat. Saw a group of deer which is rare. After the walk I told my son we were going to swing by Post Oak Creek to resupply my matrix bucket. To my surprise, he wanted to stay and look for teeth, and man is he good at spotting them. In between his playing with the other kids he found 31 teeth.(I know because he kept count of every tooth) we helped a few other people find teeth. We met a couple from Tulsa  and helped them and donated a few good finds to their collection including a flawless Cretolamna and a Squalicorax in coprolite that was amazing. Wish I had snapped a picture. We found a few good teeth and headed out. My son actually said he was looking forward to going again. Best part of my day. I am attaching some pictures from the trip including my best of the day, a nice P. mortoni and the spoiler, a 1 1/2 inch broken Cretodus that would have easily broken the 2+ inch mark. When I saw he root sticking up I thought it was going to be the trip maker. Thanks for looking.

9F5995E6-1307-41CC-9BEA-9B627A49B330.jpeg

Hi,

25 minutes ago, sharko69 said:

I am attaching some pictures from the trip including my best of the day, a nice P. mortoni and the spoiler...

What is "P." in P. mortoni ? Ptychodus ?

Please the first time in your post you write the latin name of a fossil, you MUST write the total genus ! Think to people who don't know the american sharks ! ;)

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Sounds like a great trip, and the real bonus was in converting your son to fossils! Hopefully just the beginning of many adventures starring father and son. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Coco...yes P. mortoni IS Ptychodus mortoni.  It is, unfortunately, common for people to assume that everyone else knows what they are referring to.

Sharko69...sounds like you had a very productive trip on a number of levels.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Nice sharks! Squali in coprolite sounds really cool, lucky couple! We have a deer overpopulation problem in Maryland, so this is the place for seeing them if you want to.:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

25 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Alright! Road trip Maryland style. 

Everybody pile in the car...lets go!

Let me know when you get here!:fistbump::P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It is always great when the kids want to join in. My son has no interest anymore, but hopefully I can get my 4 year old Grandson into fossils. Right now he has no interest, and when I show him things he asks to go look at pictures of spiders. He loves all spiders and I take him to local Reptile Shows so he can see and touch spiders, snakes and lizards.

Thanks. I’m not sure why the rest of the pictures won’t upload. Keeps saying they failed. Never had this problem before. I will keep trying.

Congrats on some nice finds.  Glad you shared some of your finds with the Tulsa couple.  Probably made their day and trip worth it.

I am also glad your son took such an interest in the day and found some nice specimens.

Good luck on your future outings.

Nice find sharko.  What time were you out there and were you out at the ST bridge?  I was out there enjoying the weather as well.  With the water level so low, I was able to make it back to parts of the creek that I've never seen before.

• I found this Informative 1

I am glad that you got an opportunity to spend quality time with your son.  And I am glad to hear that he made some good finds on his own. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Sounds like a fun trip buddy and you had some nice finds. Congrats. 

On 1/22/2018 at 3:48 PM, David E. said:

Nice find sharko.  What time were you out there and were you out at the ST bridge?  I was out there enjoying the weather as well.  With the water level so low, I was able to make it back to parts of the creek that I've never seen before.

Thanks. We were. We didn’t wander this trip but stayed under the bridge. Hoping for rain.

On 1/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, jpc said:

Cool.  When you say 'finally 70 degrees" does that mean finally up to 70, or down to 70?   

Up to. It has been cold in Texas this winter.