Display Stand Project - redux - redux

snolly50

This is another installment of the ongoing display project detailed in previous posts;

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/80671-display-stand-project-redux/

Here is the wooden base; sanded, shellac applied and drilled for the brass posts. I was having considerable difficulty with the shellac "gooping" up as I mopped it on this piece. I finally realized that I was down to about the last 20th of the batch I had mixed up. It had become significantly thicker than ideal via release of its volatile solvent. I cut the remainder with some more denatured alcohol and all was well.

The wood is Yellowheart, Pau amarilla. It is a native of Brazil. 

DSC_5465acz.thumb.jpg.0c640479b2b321263e21783e8d7f5a6a.jpg

Next the brass rods, formed to fit the fossil are tried in place. The sharpie mark visible on the right post was removed later.

DSC_5466acz.thumb.jpg.8cda4451e6c36a931f078cc32dc4f573.jpg 

Here is the nodule containing the fossil fish seated to assess fit. The fish is from the Cretaceous of Brazil, Rhacolepis buccalis.

DSC_5468acz.thumb.jpg.67c6ed737c23d236fa9c93a287ea179f.jpg

Wax was applied to the wooden base and buffed to a low gloss. The finished display was then ensconced in its new home in the snolly great room.

DSC_5472acz.thumb.jpg.5e429e6a17fe9a527270555919f78550.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@snolly50 very nice stand and fish. I really like the simplicity of your design. Also I do like fossil displays that are intermingled with different objects and that Fox is beautiful.

thanks for showing us

cheers Bobby 

Beautiful display, Sir Snolly. :) 

Bravo, sir.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Still amazing as ever, I would especially enjoy it with a nice glass cover topping. If only shaping plastic would be as easy...

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks to all for the kind comments. This project has been fun and is providing a different approach to displaying some of my collection. I have on hand four more varieties of exotic wood, so I will make a few more stands for select fossils. In the previous post on this topic someone mentioned labeling. I will indeed add labels (on business card stock) for each piece. At present I intend for them to be free standing, not affixed to the bases. I do not want to obscure the patterns of the wood; but do think that complete labeling adds to the total display impact.  

@Bobby Rico The pictured fox carving is a product of artisans in Oaxaca, Mexico. That particular piece was produced by Tribus Mixes, an artist's cooperative. I have quite a few of these carvings by various artists. I enjoy their fantastic color scheme and the fluid skill reflected in the wood carving. Unfortunately (for me) the price of the better pieces has rapidly increased with the art forms soaring popularity. As a consequence, I often see a piece offered that i admire; but cannot justify the expenditure. (The snollywife is constantly vigilant).

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Another really nice display, @snolly50.  I like the elegant simplicity of it.  Along the same lines, here is one I did to hang on the wall.  The fossil was sort of ho-hum but I thought that mounting it would give it a little more class.

Diplomystus.jpg.ef6cebbbdb40d04aacf2471b8544888e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

here is one I did to hang on the wall

Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm trying to accomplish. The aesthetic quality of both the fish plate and the wood are readily obvious to the viewer. The detailed label unifies the decorative value with the scientific worth of the piece. The choice of wall-mounting enhances a room's decor, while freeing scarce display space in cabinets. It's a win, win, win. I like it very much. It lends more support to the notion that the impact of a fossil display can be heightened by creative and attractive display methods.

• I found this Informative 2

On 22/01/2018 at 2:55 PM, snolly50 said:

Tribus

On 22/01/2018 at 2:55 PM, snolly50 said:

Tribus Mixes

Hi @snolly50 I just looked up this Artist and he has a beautiful armadillo . If I lived in the US I would order it. Thank you. Collectors wife’s or husband’s really need to be vigilant or things would get out of control . Mrs Rico keeps me in check. 

Snolly, that looks very professional!  I would like to make something similar for a cave bear tooth.

You mentioned labels- you might want to look into getting custom brass nameplates done for these to add a finishing touch.