What is it?

argo

Recently found this odd looking rock with a very concrete like feel to it. it has multiple fossils and crystals on it but what is weird is this flower shaped crystal on it.

WIN_20180122_14_44_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180122_14_44_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180122_14_44_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180122_14_44_46_Pro.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. 

Where was this found?

Also, any chance of some less fuzzy pictures?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, argo said:

sorry i cant produce any better quality photots.

The rock was found in gerroa

Gerroa, in Gerringong?

Welcome to TFF!

To Me they look like chalcedony / agate. A form called "desert rose" in My area.

3 minutes ago, argo said:

The rock was found in gerroa

Where is that?

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

To Me they look like chalcedony / agate. A form called "desert rose" in My area.

Where is that?

NSW, Australia. Its well known for permian marine fossils. 

Like the others have already said, we need more focussed photos. Please do what ynot is suggesting. In the meantime you could do the acid test. Drop a little concentrated acetic acid like vinegar essence on the mineral. If it fizzes, then it's probably calcite. If not, then it could be chalcedony.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very interesting specimen.  Would like to know what it is also.

Taking a well lighted picture, with the item on something stable, then enlarging and cropping it will help a lot.

I can see how your specimen can be an agate, but there are not enough details to reveal its beauty. :)

WIN_20180122_14_44_39_Pro.jpg.0df0c4abe93fd7030be43741e704960a.jpg.8c6bfde41737d9365bf4e1ca385bd52c.jpgAgate_8.jpg.2403864aada1cf3a63d547ee8ecbc72c.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Most likely: Geological.

Far off possibility: Pet. Wood.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

There are some rough resemblances with petrified grass-like plants, such as those from the Miocene of CA, USA. See e.g. this link. Yet, your specimen could just as well be something geological. Need to look at the microstructure. Also, I am unfamiliar with your locality. Not sure whether it is plausible to find petrified grass-like plants in your area...

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Hi and :Welcome-crab:, i also think this is geologic, but without better pics, hard to say.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Is the surface show flat or three dimensional. If the latter, is a cross section through a gastropod a possibility? Just a wild guess, seeing it is a marine environment.

Good question!
My observation was based on the concentric layers with the double row pattern of the walls, the way how they are not centered, the shape of the waveings and the radial connections between the layers of the core. That was the reason why I compared to the specimen posted above being from Astralia (if I'm not wrong), and I think Tony is right. The specimen might be eroded, showing a 3D image of what can be seen in a half cut of a non-altered specimen. At least, that is my thought.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library