Pictures: 2018 Tucson Fossil Show (PICTURE HEAVY)

Troodon

On 2/3/2018 at 9:55 AM, Troodon said:

There are many incredible fossils here at the show.  One of the top

An Ichthyosaur from the 180-million-year-old Jurassic Posidonia Shale of Holzmaden in southern Germany.  If you look closely you will notice four babies, if that's their mother or lunch :(

Absolutely stunning! The best I’ve ever seen. 

No price? Or is it a case of if you have to ask the price you probably can’t afford it?

Good UK ichthyosaurs go for £20-25k but generally the German examples seem to be preserved better. I think the shale is easier to prep too. 

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Absolutely stunning! The best I’ve ever seen. 

No price? Or is it a case of if you have to ask the price you probably can’t afford it?

Good UK ichthyosaurs go for £20-25k but generally the German examples seem to be preserved better. I think the shale is easier to prep too. 

Nothing was posted it a big specimen

A few dealers will start packing up on Monday to head home.  Most tell me they have had a good show even though there is a week left which is great.

Here are a few more pictures

IMG_1618.JPG.8d8db00fe4e6a5270eabf22e047c5cc2.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG.e65ebf1eca836dee70613149fbba62eb.JPGIMG_1620.JPG.dc0ce999bf3451dba510623800736e22.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG.a84f395a6e4812aa91ffb3a4ff1620b5.JPGIMG_1623.JPG.bf2a5ab9b050a9325312dc1cce691f4a.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG.9080ba0afb4e52e8e5f31d8b5239b739.JPGIMG_1624.JPG.27ed4f56e333b23ddafdad5ce7ba5223.JPG

Some one asked if the baby whale is real and confirmed :dinothumb:  here is more of a closeup

IMG_1626.JPG.7e0ac5062dbd3b2d6909355c7de3334e.JPG

Nice Edestus jaw

IMG_1627.JPG.bfaa82ddbae68544a9232bb5f56e9e29.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG.a007b6e74bdc03195e386e87f9239c5a.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG.0f9eee137b73163de9b9c48ccecef979.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Incredible.

I guess it's just as well for me to stay home and look at your pics... any time I see a price it's something way out of reach for me.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:40 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love some of those cephalopods and crinoids. 

Marvelous. 

Me too!

I'd like one of those nautilus from Madag. but not if it's polished - and they all appear to be polished!

Still, lots of other things to choose from.

24 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Me too!

I'd like one of those nautilus from Madag. but not if it's polished - and they all appear to be polished!

Still, lots of other things to choose from.

Know what you mean. I've got a small nautilus from there, very beautiful but polished and I wish it weren't. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 1/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, Troodon said:

Here are some pictures from 22nd Street Venue

Geoff Notkin of Meteorite Men was around today and very pleasant he is great guy.

IMG_1395.JPG.fd28db126e4929f3ea5bb46505a3a579.JPG

"Obesus rosmalus". perfect name for a walrus! thanks so much for sharing @Troodon. (I know its my second post in a row but still lol)

Scyliorhinus elongatus from Hgula Lebanon 100 mya.  A shark with preserved skin even eye pigmentation

DVK2UzbU0AAk2yi.thumb.jpeg.95bafb6da537637b0c4a8ad5c0e1daa7.jpegDVK200QVQAE8e1N.thumb.jpeg.ea4dbf43fdc3cf6cb5f7863faad18d31.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Scyliorhinus elongatus from Hgula Lebanon 100 mya.  A shark with preserved skin even eye pigmentation

WHAAAAAT??? So cool! Should I try to fossilize my eyeballs? :headscratch::P

The other things are really cool too, I so so love the two reptile skeletons and that Discosauriscus. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

OK, I am going to be there Wednesday and Thursday.  I’m thinking I will try to hit the 22nd Street Show, the Hotel Tucson, and the Ramada.  Are these the best 3 spots or will I be missing something important?  I will try not to spend my entire budget in the first hour, but you never know.

8 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

OK, I am going to be there Wednesday and Thursday.  I’m thinking I will try to hit the 22nd Street Show, the Hotel Tucson, and the Ramada.  Are these the best 3 spots or will I be missing something important?  I will try not to spend my entire budget in the first hour, but you never know.

If you are looking to shop for fossils those are the best 3 places.

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, Troodon said:

IMG_1637.JPG.a290cc57bde34bbf6ff64f800d653fbb.JPG

@Troodon deserves the Fossil Forum post of the year award!!!!! This makes winters in Minnesota more enjoyable, having such reading  (and drooling) material available. One question to you. Since I never collect ichthyosaurs, just too big to fit in my backpack, and I do not understand their anatomy, do all specimens lack boney support in their dorsal tail? Is the carved tail a guess of what it looked like or is there fossil evidence of the shape created here.

4 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Troodon deserves the Fossil Forum post of the year award!!!!! This makes winters in Minnesota more enjoyable, having such reading  (and drooling) material available. One question to you. Since I never collect ichthyosaurs, just too big to fit in my backpack, and I do not understand their anatomy, do all specimens lack boney support in their dorsal tail? Is the carved tail a guess of what it looked like or is there fossil evidence of the shape created here.

From Wikipedia: “The German fossils also featured the outline of Ichthyosaurus's skin, revealing that it had a fleshy dorsal fin on its back and a large caudal fin. Other ichthyosaur fossils showed this feature was not limited to Ichthyosaurus.”

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Pictures: 2018 Tucson Fossil Show (PICTURE HEAVY)
5 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@WhodamanHD, another day goes by and I learn something new!! Thanks.

Me too, I just looked it up:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

48 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

One question to ySince I never collect ichthyosaurs, just too big to fit in my backpack, and I do not understand their anatomy, do all specimens lack boney support in their dorsal tail? Is the carved tail a guess of what it looked like or is there fossil evidence of the shape created here.

Thanks.  I also don't understand their anatomy but it must be since they are always seen that way.  The carved tail/fins are there to add to the visual and make it look more lifelike and of course sellable on top of what Whodaman said.

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Icthyosaurs have a bony support of the lower fluke in the tail fin.

It was originally thought that this was just the continuation of the backbone and the sudden kink and downturn was caused by snapping tendons after death.

Fossils with the outline of the animal preserved showed the truth.

Image result for ichthyosaur fossilImage result for ichthyosaur fossil

• I found this Informative 9

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

50 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Icthyosaurs have a bony support of the lower fluke in the tail fin.

It was originally thought that this was just the continuation of the backbone and the sudden kink and downturn was caused by snapping tendons after death.

Fossils with the outline of the animal preserved showed the truth.

Thank you.  I also think the outline gives you a more visually appealing view of the animal than just bones..

• I found this Informative 2