Pictures: 2018 Tucson Fossil Show (PICTURE HEAVY)

Troodon

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

:wub::faint: I think my brain just short-circuited.

There is no remedy for that other than complete immersion in trilobites.

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I asked that question and when it was studied a number of theories came out, one include a large Bird "eagle" had it and dropped it in flight.  Another more plausible was it was just caught in a flood and washed in a river bed.

Yes the flood sounds about right but a large eagle carrying a horse    now that would be a sight to behold .  

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes the flood sounds about right but a large eagle carrying a horse    now that would be a sight to behold .  

size of a mid size dog not out of the question 

• I found this Informative 2

47 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Haast’s eagle may have been able to carry away children and adolescents. Looks a bit articulated for that or a flood (in my inexperienced opinion). Maybe they migrated like modern day mammals and it drowned crossing a river, or perhaps a toxic gas event like in the messel pit occurred. I’ll leave it to the experts...  

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Love the pics- may favorite from these two sets are the Australian Crinoids and the last set of the trilobites- all very cool. 

Question on the show.  If one could not make it this first weekend what are better days to try to attend?  Are any days less busy or closed?  Is the second weekend more crowded?

Trying to see if I can work the show into my road trip that begins later this week.

Definitely on my bucket list of places to go and drool.

Mike D'Arcy

2 hours ago, Kane said:

:wub::faint: I think my brain just short-circuited.

Surely you can afford three or four of those on a faculty salary! :D

I think I'd almost rather see those trilobites in a museum, where I'd know they were unobtainable to me, than in a venue where I'd just be taunted "if you'd only become a hedge fund manager instead of a professor you could buy the whole cabinet".

Don

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Question on the show.  If one could not make it this first weekend what are better days to try to attend?  Are any days less busy or closed?  Is the second weekend more crowded?

Trying to see if I can work the show into my road trip that begins later this week.

The weekends are the worst especially the first one.   Weekdays are the best the only issue is that schools due day trips so you may see herds of kids.  Parking is better on weekdays but always a challenge.   The earlier you can attend more opportunities to see better specimens.

If I'm not mistaken I saw Dawn Horse for sale online from a reputable dealer. Edit. NVM it's a different horse. The one online is selling for almost a cool $1 mil.

I will be there the last Wednesday and Thursday.  Hope all the good things that I can admire but can’t afford aren’t all sold by then. :fingerscrossed:

9 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Surely you can afford three or four of those on a faculty salary! :D

I think I'd almost rather see those trilobites in a museum, where I'd know they were unobtainable to me, than in a venue where I'd just be taunted "if you'd only become a hedge fund manager instead of a professor you could buy the whole cabinet".

Don

LOL. I somehow suspect that pushing these through the departmental expense reimbursement account would be flatly denied, even if I ticked off a box that said "pedagogical tools." :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

22 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I, like everyone else that reads your post, wishes we were there. Thanks for showing us. Can you tell me what those "daisy like" fossils are?   

Mike, I think the ones you are referring to are sea urchins.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

22 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I, like everyone else that reads your post, wishes we were there. Thanks for showing us. Can you tell me what those "daisy like" fossils are?   

Sorry I missed your post and saw caldiggers response.  Can you tie a photo to your question

The show can and is very overwhelming if you have never been there. Frank can only show us just a mere drop in the bucket of the different venues that await you. He'd wear out his camera otherwise.

Think of an entire city filled with shows in just about every parking lot and open space. Not just of fossils, but fossils, minerals, beads, jewelry, lapadary machines and supplies, display items, etc., etc. It goes on and on.

You could spend days wandering venues and still not even touch on what is available.

That is why when you get there, you need to get some of the show guides that can be found everywhere and buckle down and focus on the shows that will meet your needs.

You will probably feel like a zombie after a few days and definitely have dry mouth from loss of drool. However, it is an experience everyone with interests in all things "rock" should behold at least once in their lifetime. It really is amazing!

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

WoW, keep the pics coming! The Permian Crinoids, The spiny Trilobites, the Green River horse.... oh dear, the kiddie pool beneath my chair is overflowing with drool again.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

10 hours ago, kurtl said:

If I'm not mistaken I saw Dawn Horse for sale online from a reputable dealer. Edit. NVM it's a different horse. The one online is selling for almost a cool $1 mil.

Hope they'll do a discount for a pair. 

I want them as bookends. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Here are the "daisies " in question

Yup, sea urchins. 

You are now in possession of some of the spines of these. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hope they'll do a discount for a pair. 

I want them as bookends. 

I think it's around 1.2 M for horse and 400K for the turtle but I'm sure they would be glad to give you a 10% discount for the pair :D

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

WoW, keep the pics coming! The Permian Crinoids, The spiny Trilobites, the Green River horse.... oh dear, the kiddie pool beneath my chair is overflowing with drool again.

You have the same issue I am having. :drool:

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yup, sea urchins. 

You are now in possession of some of the spines of these. :)

Thanks @Tidgy's Dad. Now I can visualize what it looked like.

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

I think it's around 1.2 M for horse and 400K for the turtle but I'm sure they would be glad to give you a 10% discount for the pair :D

Word on the streets of Wyoming is he had asked 2 million for the horse and was now asking a single mil.  

It is a great mystery as to how these mammals (there are only a small handful) get out into the lake beds.  I think washing in from a local river is the best answer.  Another mystery... there are many more birds known form the Green River Fm, but most of them are NOT water birds.  Forest birds.  Why so many forest birds and so few water birds?