Safeness of Dino Fossil Pack

Kaiju Slayer333

This pack of fossils is on a website which if you don’t know I’ll privately message it to you if you wish. While to me the website and the fossils look good, the fact that the fossils are I believe from Morocco and the fact that they are barely under $20. Makes me question if there’s a catch with these. Please tell me what you think.

C14CDD17-E7D7-47AC-90F5-116EDF5D9404.jpeg

BB598A7E-0C07-409A-845C-BEA4382BC1D2.jpeg

918954ED-7D4D-411E-A95F-A6874727EE16.jpeg

The bone and the little bit of spino tooth will be real, but not really worth a lot. 

I would be more suspicious of the eggshell. 

I don't think we get an awful lot of dinosaur eggs here and wouldn't have thought they'd  be selling little bits off to the public. 

Not something I've seen or heard of. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

My 2 pence...just because the majority of items are from Morocco, doesn't mean everything in the kit is.

The company putting the kits together might get loads of stuff from different places and then throws them all together in a generic "dinosaur fossil kit".  

How rare are those Saltosaurus shell bits that many people seem to have from the locations they come from? 

The kit builder may purchase boxes of tid-bits from sellers from all over.

I myself used to sell fossil dig kits that had items from many different places.

Eh, the catch is that I'm pretty sure that the eggshell is actually from Argentina, like caldigger said. I also never heard of a Jurassic dinosaur bone from Morocco (Maybe there might be, but even if so I doubt that they'd be commercially selling them by the tons like the Paleozoic and Cretaceous-Paleogene fossils), making me question if that bone is probably from a different location as well. But I guess twenty dollars is still somewhat a bargain.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Cynical here,

for the 20 dollars You will receive small unidentifiable fragments of real fossils.

I think You would do better to save up to buy a nice identifiable piece. (You can always post any piece here for thoughts on it.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Oh dang. I was expecting that this could be fake. I'm pleased to know those fossils are actually a real bargain. I should probably get it before it's gone.

And by the way guys. If you're interested to check this website out and it's fossils. I'll happily send a message with a link in it.

I agree with ynot on this one.  Yes they are real fossils but I think you would be better off saving up until you can afford a nicer piece that is identifiable.

All very real.  That Spino tooth can be bought in quantity here at the Tucson show for a buck.  The bone can be had from anywhere and is nondescript.  Eggshell material from Mongolia is cheap and plentiful if that what it is, hard to say.  All real. 

5 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Oh dang. I was expecting that this could be fake. I'm pleased to know those fossils are actually a real bargain. I should probably get it before it's gone.

They're not fake, but its just that their locations may have been mislabeled outside the spinosaur tooth. But I still know of a fossil pack of the same price that has much more fossils inside (and I have bought it myself without any problems), I can PM you a link if you want.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

They're not fake, but its just that their locations may have been mislabeled outside the spinosaur tooth. But I still know of a fossil pack of the same price that has much more fossils inside (and I have bought it myself without any problems), I can PM you a link if you want.

Go ahead. I'd love to see it.

Can confirm that small pieces of eggshell are often sold in packs like these. Have never seen packs like this that have fakes in them. Generally they consist of nice little fossils that serve as a cool starter pack for collectors.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

All of the dealers put together packs like this and the fossils are real, just not first quality. They could come from almost anywhere and a Spino tooth is the only identifiable bit in most packs. You could probably put this together yourself a lot cheaper by going to a show and going through the bargain buckets, the packaging is usually worth more than the fossils, but they are useful to start off collections, especially for kids, if you don't have access to a show or a collecting site.

I did find this Carchodontosaurus tooth for $43. It’s from Morocco and I actually think getting this would be better

49B2AB8B-F789-4E61-AD2A-854883C030BA.jpeg

Like others have said, the fossils in the pack are real. There are a fair amount of dinosaur fossils that are actually quite cheap. A variety of teeth are very common (Triceratops shed teeth, Spinosaurus teeth, Unidentified Raptor teeth, Hadrosaur teeth... to name a few). Teeth from these species don't break the bank unless you're looking at a high quality, larger tooth.

Carchodontosaurus teeth are very cool and a nice alternative to paying some serious cash for a T-Rex tooth. That being said the top of the Carch tooth above does look sketchy. The enamel is also worn and all of the serrations appear to have worn off as well. In the $50 price range you can find better, small teeth! Keep searching IMO

Not bad for $20.... I would have loved that as a kid! I can't ID that shell from the pictures but small fragments of stuff like that can be extremely cheap when bought in bulk like Troodon said.

2 hours ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

There’s also this Deltadromeus tooth there. Around $20

8DAAFCB9-07F4-4E63-A559-80415599FB34.jpeg

Yes a nice looking tooth. But no skull of Deltadromeus has been found at this point. What its teeth look like is unknown. No teeth at the moment can be ascribed to Deltadromeus.

This tooth looks like it's probably from an Abelisaurid.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

To add to this topic the kids stocking filler dinosaur pack probably consists of saltasaurus shell from Patagonia Argentina, Bone fragment from the Morison formation USA and Spinosauruiade sp. from the kem kem beds of Morocco, in my opinion a little expensive but not too bad. there is Jurassic dinosaur material to be had from Morocco in the atlas mountains if I am aware only one species is known from this location at the moment and that is Atlasaurus.

The Carcharadontosaurus tooth looks for its size like it could be from a juvenile but don't quote me on that, however more importantly the tip has the classic matrix and super glue fill at the tip suggesting very highly it is a restored piece and expensive for the price.

Finally the ablesauriade tooth is in good shape has a flat edge on the distal side which leads me to believe this is not delta but other than that good tooth good price.

On 23/01/2018 at 4:00 PM, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

I did find this Carchodontosaurus tooth for $43. It’s from Morocco and I actually think getting this would be better

49B2AB8B-F789-4E61-AD2A-854883C030BA.jpeg

That’s pretty rough for one of that size at that money. 

Archived