why are my modern shark teeth cracking?

Untitled

Hey everyone!  I know they technically aren't fossils, I have a drawer of modern shark teeth, of which many are starting to exhibit hairline cracks along the center of the teeth, which weren't there when I purchased them previously.  Does anyone know why this is happening, and if so, how do I prevent this from happening further?

14 minutes ago, Foozil said:

I would coat them in paraloid. I'm not sure why, but my modern teeth almost always crack (others may not? ).

Thank you!  Yeah the majority of mine are and I'm not sure if it's natural or not, and if there is any special maintenance needed with these modern teeth.

17 hours ago, caldigger said:

Perhaps the structure on the interior is shrinking due to drying out.

That's probably the cause, as New England gets extremely dry during winter time.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:41 PM, caldigger said:

Perhaps the structure on the interior is shrinking due to drying out.

It might also result if there are swings in temperature in the room in addition to swings in humidity.

14 minutes ago, siteseer said:

It might also result if there are swings in temperature in the room in addition to swings in humidity.

So are you implying that Untitled is a swinger?! :rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I don't know why the room heats up so much and then cools down.  I try to mind my own business but will say that some of those shark tooth collectors live on the edge.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:53 PM, caldigger said:

On 1/26/2018 at 12:14 AM, siteseer said:

I don't know why the room heats up so much and then cools down.  I try to mind my own business but will say that some of those shark tooth collectors live on the edge.

:hearty-laugh:

I found a megatooth 2 days ago, (we think it is angustidens) while snorkelling at the beach, It is beautiful and in really good condition with an awesome cusp, it was really black when I found it but has become more milky-black as it dried out over the past 2 days (it's summer here in south australia). I am just wondering if there is anything I've got to do to preserve it or can I just leave it as it is? My brother posted a picture of it in the sharks subreddit (still on the front page there if you are interested)

Edited by bobthecat

Discoloration does often happen when a tooth has been in an anaerobic environment and is suddenly introduced to Oxygen. Not sure if anything can be done about it.

I have dig up a few teeth that had brilliant color when first dug up and changed to a duller color after just a few minutes in the air.

On the other hand, most of the teeth I have gotten lately from a different local seem to start off rather bland and take on beautiful colors only after exposure.

Dorensigbadges.JPG