Unknown Vert

ShadyW

I wonder if any of you can help me with this nice little vert that my daughters found in a creek north of Plano, TX?

The creek consists of gravel bars full of shark teeth, and this is the only non-fish vert we've ever found there.

There's a second view in my Gallery, although the quality of the image isn't any better in that one... really must buy a tripod for macro photos!

med_gallery_166_43_152771.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Hard to see the socket type, can you describe it for us? Is it a ball on on end and a socket on the other or are they flatter surfaces?

Hard to see the socket type, can you describe it for us? Is it a ball on on end and a socket on the other or are they flatter surfaces?

They're both relatively flat surfaces. Certainly not the concave/convex pair that my Mossasaur vert has.

In fact, this second image shows the socket better, I think:

med_gallery_166_43_343017.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

This is a mammal vertebra, not snake.

Thanks Auriculatus. I'd reached that same conclusion after reading about concave/convex vertebral sockets on reptiles, and the flatter sockets on mammals (thanks to Anson's hint).

Any idea what kind of mammal it could be? I know that's a pretty broad question, but I'd be happy for any suggestions! A few months ago I found a picture online that claimed to be a fossil Bobcat vert, and it looked very, very similar. Now I can't find the picture again, but it gave me the idea that this could be from a cat of some sort.

Archived