Another bizzare fossil resembling an ice-cream cone

Kasia

I didn't know that.

Well , maybe I did.  :ninja:B);).  Unpostable,278 MB

Edit: I won't open the link, but I presume it's about this one.

hdtouvrcalcitlptttryhhmjjpwillist.jpg

@doushantuo  The pics you posted are very cool, and you should post the article about them too. However, they are not what the article that @Kasia posted is about. Here is what the article has:

Odd.... it is giving me an error when I try to upload the file. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

There we go!  The funny thing is that they say it was found in Hummelstown, PA which is just outside of Hershey, PA and the article indicates that the geographic location is within the "Appalachian Mountains" (which it most certainly is not).  

rare450milli2.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

It does superficially resemble a hyolith, but presumably isn't. 

Very interesting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Does it actually say it is preserved in HT metamorphic rocks?

??

Forgive my ignorance, Ben, but what are HT metamorphic rocks?  :headscratch:

Where do you see that? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Illite Crystallinity and C(onodont) A(lteration)  I(ndex) indicating peak metamorphic temperatures above 250 degr.Celsius

The area that the fossils were found in is on the border between the physiographic provinces of "Ridge and Valley" (the Appalachian mountains) and the "Great Valley" (which is full of old faults from overthrusts that occurred when Pangea was coming together). So there was some metamorphism but not enough to alter the rocks too much in most areas. Just south you have the failed rift area from when Pangea broke apart which creaked dikes that, in some areas, extend into the Great Valley.

Here is a screenshot from Google Earth with the geology overlay and some formation highlights. Note that the Martinsburg formation is the thin strip near the top and forms the base of the first ridge of the Appalachian mountains. So I have to correct my earlier statement. :shrug:  The green just south of it is the "Great Valley" and then the yellow and dark reds are the failed rift.

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.38e1201fd625b5dd71b42b2f77882d7e.jpg

-Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived