New Estwing hammer on a bender ?

Crann

Hi, thought would treat myself to a new hammer (and also let the other half get some hammertime in) my old cheaper hammer has straight angles but the Estwing looks off, bends one way then the other, is this a design in the hammer for the energy or is it just a banana ? Can't imagine a fault but just curious, thanks.

I assume you are seeing a photo like this?

Rock-Hammer-Supreme-20-Chisel-Edge-Estwing.gif

If you look closely, the angle is a bit skewed - this isn't taken from directly beside the hammer.

As a result you see more of a curve there than there actually is. Optical illusion. ;) 

They actually look more like this:

87b8ab2f45bc26fdb8480407b37193bb.jpg

I actually have a few of each - pick end and chisel end. 

They are excellent hammers. 

Just wish the handles were more visible. I've lost a few of these when they get lost in the grass or covered with dirt/mud.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I assume you are seeing a photo like this?

Rock-Hammer-Supreme-20-Chisel-Edge-Estwing.gif

If you look closely, the angle is a bit skewed - this isn't taken from directly beside the hammer.

As a result you see more of a curve there than there actually is. Optical illusion. ;) 

They actually look more like this:

87b8ab2f45bc26fdb8480407b37193bb.jpg

I actually have a few of each - pick end and chisel end. 

They are excellent hammers. 

Just wish the handles were more visible. I've lost a few of these when they get lost in the grass or covered with dirt/mud.

Tim... day-glo spray paint.  Mine are all painted green.  ALL of my field tools.  

• I found this Informative 1

As you can see my old hammer is flush, the Estwing looks like one side would hit first and not flush, are others this way ? Thanks.

20180124_182559-640x360.jpg

That is weird.  I would contact Estwing directly if you can.  That top photo shows it well.  I think yours is indeed on a three-day bender. 

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

That is weird.  I would contact Estwing directly if you can.  That top photo shows it well.  I think yours is indeed on a three-day bender. 

Quality just isn't right, bought it from a legit company, looks fake to me !

20180124_194605-360x640.jpg

Mine looks too shiny and the handle is different, whole hammer looks off and messy finishes, I've mailed the company, I wanted it for Sunday too, be careful guys...

18 minutes ago, Crann said:

Mine looks too shiny and the handle is different, whole hammer looks off and messy finishes, I've mailed the company, I wanted it for Sunday too, be careful guys...

Maybe some other country is flooding the US with cheap, knock-off Eastwing hammers...........  On the serious side, Eastwing would want to know about this one, they actually care about quality control.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 minute ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Maybe some other country is flooding the US with cheap, knock-off Eastwing hammers...........  On the serious side, Eastwing would want to know about this one, they actually care about quality control.

I will, not happy !

1 minute ago, Crann said:

I will, not happy !

Not sure how you folks do it in England, but Mrs.SA2 and I use Amazon for most things we order. I'm not exaggerating when I say there is a package delivery from them on our porch at least 4 days out of the week. One of the nice things is returns are very easy and painless.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

10 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hey Crannyman, does it say made in China anywhere.........?

Made in some kids bedroom I think Brewer ! Crazy

Good work, @Crann

If a company is making counterfeit, low quality goods, a company with a reputation like Estwing would certainly want to know.

I can only hope that it isn't an actual Estwing. I know some companies will outsource manufacturing to other locations through a licensing model where the goods are made by a licensee firm with the parent label on the product, a percentage given back as a licensing fee. I know this is far more common in the brewing industry where a brand will be licensed to a brewer (not John :P ) that will modify the recipe 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The hammer looks dangerously out, handle is different, finish is terrible, looks like would snap with one hit, I mean how hard is it to make a hammer that looks straight ? My other one was about £10 and It's as strong as Thors !

38 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

If the name on the hammer is Eastwing, then it is a knockoff. Or is that our old nemesis "autocorrect" again?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

If the name on the hammer is Eastwing, then it is a knockoff. Or is that our old nemesis "autocorrect" again?

Your nemesis strikes again, says Estwing on the hammer.

This one is my favorite. Been using this long handled one for years and I'll swear by it. It has an incredible clout and is easy on the elbow due to super resilience. I'd really recommend it if you can find a reputable dealer.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/