Great way to display and view tiny fossils with dissecting scope

aplomado

I bought a membrane display frame to display a small mosasaur tooth I found.  If you have not seen these before, they are two very thin plastic membranes pressed between a plastic frame that opens up to insert objects.   On a whim, I stuck the whole thing under a dissecting scope, and it viewed beautifully!  The membrane was almost entirely invisible.  The frame makes it easy to move the specimen around on the stage.  So it turns out these are not only a nice way to display small fossils, but work great for viewing them under magnification also... I was planning on trying to get some of the special micro fossil slides, but now I won't bother... I expect it would work esp well with amber.

They are about $1-2 including shipping on ebay from many sellers- search "membrane display."

The only thing I am not sure about is any potential damage to the fossil from long term storage in the membrane.  The membrane is made of "Acrylic, PET" so if anyone knows, please chime in.

pet membrane.jpg

Other members use these as well. 

I plan on getting a few to try out. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 1:44 PM, aplomado said:

I bought a membrane display frame to display a small mosasaur tooth I found.  If you have not seen these before, they are two very thin plastic membranes pressed between a plastic frame that opens up to insert objects.   On a whim, I stuck the whole thing under a dissecting scope, and it viewed beautifully!  The membrane was almost entirely invisible.  The frame makes it easy to move the specimen around on the stage.  So it turns out these are not only a nice way to display small fossils, but work great for viewing them under magnification also... I was planning on trying to get some of the special micro fossil slides, but now I won't bother... I expect it would work esp well with amber.

They are about $1-2 including shipping on ebay from many sellers- search "membrane display."

The only thing I am not sure about is any potential damage to the fossil from long term storage in the membrane.  The membrane is made of "Acrylic, PET" so if anyone knows, please chime in.

pet membrane.jpg

Do they all come with the one ring of Sauron?

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Do they all come with the one ring of Sauron?

Only mine... and you can't have my precious!  :wub:

Archived