Fossil Collecting Gloves

LiamL

Anybody have some good recommendations for great fossil collecting gloves.

I'll be hammering hard nodules and will also need to have good grip.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I just bought a pack of nitrile-coated gloves after experiencing the pitfalls of regular work gloves losing grip when working in mucky, wet conditions. The benefit of the nitrile gloves (and, to some extent, thickly rubber-coated grip ones) is puncture resistance. Garden gloves wear out very quickly, particularly if you use your hands to wipe away debris.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I use weightlifting gloves for the padded palms and exposed fingertips.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I wear a fingerless weightlifting glove (padded palm) on my hammer-hand. Only wear the pair during winter collecting.

• I found this Informative 1

Pounding concretions is your hand is a great way to screw up your anvil hand bones.  I used to do it that way, but now mostly I set the ting on the ground and hit.  I recommend finding a rock to use as an anvil.  If I wear gloves it is leather, and generally only for fun things like shoveling, and a single glove to protect my chisel holding hand.  

I don't wear gloves unless it's cold. I prefer to feel the rough stone and dirt and the tools directly. I suppose that's not very sensible in the eyes of some, but I always at least have a few bandaids in my knapsack as a precaution :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I work mostly in sandstone so I wouldn't have any skin left on my hands if I didn't.

These I get in a ten pair pack for $10. So only $1 per pair.

One pair can last me 2-3 trips. Available from  a store that starts with Home and ends with Depot.

I have used rubber coated gloves and many other kinds and they just don't hold up like these.

20180128_081134.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I work mostly in sandstone so I wouldn't have any skin left on my hands if I didn't.

These I get in a ten pair pack for $10. So only $1 per pair.

One pair can last me 2-3 trips. Available from  a store that starts with Home and ends with Depot.

I have used rubber coated gloves and many other kinds and they just don't hold up like these.

I field tested with a pair of these yesterday, also acquired in 10-pack. Apart from some light wear on the nitrile-coated side, I found them pretty handy in not getting soaked like cloth gloves. If it is a bit cold or damp out, these will not cut out a chill wind, but one of their advantages is that you can pick up small pieces without taking off your gloves first. Thicker gloves makes the occasional sifting and such awkward.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer