Fossil?

Kim Ellis

Hi All,

Wondering if you could give me some feedback.

Is this a fossil, preservation? Cell plates are visible and imprints.

Photos taken wet.

Thanks!!

Kim

fossil.jpg

20180124_193120.jpg

20180124_193211.jpg

20180124_193543.jpg

Kim, what are we calling cell plates?  What sort of imprints?  I guess the photos aren't showing what you see.

Can you elaborate some?

I must agree with the other opinions:the biogenic origin is not immediately obvious(he said euphemistically)

most (body)fossils show meristic/recurring structures ,caused by the dynamics and kinetics of accretionary growth(diffusion of morphogens*),which most of the

time results in some form of recognizable(radial or bilateral) symmetry,and/or at least regular spatial patterning.

In most fossils of course,the third dimension gets lost,which makes recogniton harder.

*mathematically/topologically speaking:Honda trees,Voronoi tiling,Koch curves/fractality,Korn***-Spalding patterns,circular reflectors/(caustics)),Fibonacci structures(PLANTS!)

***Not anything to do with the band:D

edit(hours later): in the first sentence  changed "patterns" to "structures"

I agree with the others. Please describe "cell plates" and "imprints" in your own words and tell us where you found it. Just showing us photos isn't enough, since all we are seeing, even on the closeups, is an iron concretion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It's not a coincidence that patterns like those in concretion resemble life forms. Life forms, the hard parts that are likely to fossilize in particular, are essentially the genetic taming of the same sort of physical processes. 

Totally geological.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived